Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybridizing for beginners

Posted by tamararly (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 21, 09 at 6:06

Hi to All,

so I want to do my first hand cross pollination. For what have I to look before? Have the colours to be the same, or the flower form similar ? What's about the varieties and the leaves? For example if I want to marry a bushy growing japonica with long small leaves, red flower bells together with an upright growing one, large leaves and whith white single flowers - would that work?

All suggestions would be welcome. LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybridizing for beginners

tamararly, The possibilities of Hybridization are virtually unlimited. You can cross-pollinate similar or different camellias. Most of the Camellia sasanquas that exist in our gardens today are really hybrids of Camellia sasanqua and Camellia japonica. The original Sasanquas were all white in their native japan. From the Japonica genes, we have the colors.

Many foliage characteristics would be passed on through hybridization. I have a Holly Leaf Camellia. Most seedlings of this variety or seedlings resulting from pollen from this variety have that same Holly Leaf characteristic. Cross-pollinate to your heart'delight. It is lots of fun.

There is an article on Camellia Hybridization in the latest edition of the Free Online E-Newsletter called THE CAMELLIA GARDENER. Check the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Camellia Gardener November/December 2009

o
RE: Hybridizing for beginners

Oh! Thank you very much for encouraging me! So I started my first try with C. crapnelliana and oleifera. Crapnelliana's flower has already fallen down. Now I can wait and hope that the fruit will not be empty! :)

Thank you also very much for sharing your interesting link!

Greetings
tamararly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here