Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeepers13_gw

Camellia japonica var. quercifolia - anybody grow this?

jeepers13
19 years ago

I brushed up against this lovely oak-leaf camellia at a faraway nursery this summer and was a bit enchanted. I returned home to do a little research on it before buying (as always), but found pretty much no information available.

So, if anyone has experience with this, I'd love to know your thoughts on: flower, flower time, overall size & shape.

Thanks all.

James.

Comments (9)

• GAAlan
    19 years ago

Is there a chance you could find that plant again? I think it would be an outstanding addition to a camellia garden even if it never bloomed. Any chance they'd have an extra you could send this way?!:)

Stirling Macoboy's Camellia Enyclopedia says:

"Although its single flowers are sweetly scented and tinted a delicious strawberry ice cream shade, this curious variety of Camellia japonica is prized more for its unique foliage. Every dark, shining leaf is divided and twisted at the tip like the tail of a fancy goldfish. And that is what the Japanese call it-"Kingyo-Tsubaki"- the 'goldfish camellia'. Elsewhere it has been known as "Quercifolia"(oak leaf) or merely "fishtail", but the Japanese name is surely more appropriate. The plant is vigorous, blooming early to midseason, and parent to many cultivars."

• jeepers13
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tee hee, GAAlan, you sound as excited about it as me!
    While looking around the internet, I couldn't find any pictures that do justice to the unusual foliage of this camellia. Standing next to it, you really see how odd and cool and lovely these leaves are. In fact, even if it never bloomed, it would be an awfully interesting evergreeen shrub.
    I saw it at Cistus (www.cistus.com). Their plant list says they offer both pink- and white-flowering forms. But their mail order list does not include this selection. Bummer.
    Okay, so for the positive part: while searching for the japanese name (Kingyo-tsubaki), I discovered that our old friends at camforest sell it.
    Ah!
    James.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:515214}}

• GAAlan
    19 years ago

James, very nice picture. Shows off the foliage very well! I didn't know it was available from Camellia Forest!!! I even have their latest catalog! That is a really big oversight on my part not to know they have it! May order it tomorrow!

• jeepers13
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Cool, huh?
    Please let us know how it looks in person.
    James.

• GAAlan
    19 years ago

My order arrived yesterday. The camellia is about a foot tall and has only one leaf with just a little of the lobing. This is gonna be a really cool plant several years from now. I want to plant it asap, but mother nature seems to think the nearly 10" of rain we had in November wasn't enough. Had an inch today and about 2.75" the last three days. Looks like rain out there as I type. At least I have one now. I am so glad you pointed out that CF had them James!!

• jeepers13
    Original Author
    19 years ago

G~
    You're welcome, and thanks for keeping in touch with us about this one (don't you just love finally finding a plant you've had your heart set on?). I take it you've had a good experience with camforest? I may be hitting them up for a tama-no-ura soon.
    Also, it sounds like from your email that you either received: a) a shrub with only one leaf on it, or b) a shrub with many leaves, only one of which exhibits the fantail that you bought this for. If a), that's the definition of anticipation. If b), that's really interesting. Love to know.
    Enjoy!
    James.

• GAAlan
    19 years ago

James, I'm sorry, what I said about my plant wasn't very clear. It has a number of dark green healthy leaves but only one of which has a small amount of the characteristic fantail lobing.

I have ordered from CF several times. They do a great job sending good plants. My whole order this time was the camellia along with a heat tolerant primrose and a 'Duke Gardens' Cephalotaxus. All plants are very healthy looking. I would check before hand on the Tama-no-ura because if I remember right the owner told me they had sold out already. I would highly recommend Camellia Forest.

• sandy808
    16 years ago

I just purchased a large speciman of this camellia from Bob Wines Nursery in Ocala Florida. It sounds as though this is a rare one to find. I couldn't stop thinking about it so I went back and bought one.

I don't think he has any small ones available, (mine is a 15 gallon) but if anyone wants to make a drive to Central Florida, he has a few of these beauties left.

Sandy

• sandy808
    16 years ago

I just planted mine and I just LOVE this camellia! Even if it had no flowers on it, it would be beautiful.

Sandy

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions