Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christopher770

Limb Up / Shape to Tree Standard - Help Appreciated.

Christopher770
11 years ago

First, I am amazed at all the wonderful and detailed information all you great people have to give. I am relatively naive to gardening, but now really starting to get into it. Having recently enlarged my patio and installing new bushes, I had researched with the help of my local, most awesome Nursery (Woody's Nursery - Duluth, Ga.), decided that I wanted a Camellia in a tree form to be one of the focal points for this new area I have created. Unfortunately, he could not give me much advice on training these.

Type: Alabama Beauty Red Camellia Susquehanna. I wanted a larger bush to start with and my nurseryman found a nice 15gl that had what we thought was a great trunk form for my purpose. The bush is about 2-months now in its new home and is blooming quite nicely. The bush has stalks shooting up to 10' tall, which I love (got to love these garden sites that say these will only get 6-8ft max height). However, my ultimate goal is about a 15ft tree with a nice bushy canopy in tree form.
My questions are:
1. When to prune?
2. Where to prune...in other words, how far up should I cut, how and where should I start cutting?
3. Do I need to cut the top at all at this point?
4. In addition, looking at the pictures I have attached, I show a close up of one of the leaves with what looks to me to be leaf spot. It is more noticeable on the backside of the leave, and currently only affecting a few. Does anyone see this as an issue and know what I can do now, if anything, to thwart any problems.

PS....just realized I can only post one pic at time and selected this one. I dont have a website where I can post severla for all to see. However, I can post more on any reply's.

Thank you very much to any an all who respond!!

Christopher

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions