Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limb Up / Shape to Tree Standard - Help Appreciated.

Posted by Christopher770 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 8:21

First, I am amazed at all the wonderful and detailed information all you great people have to give. I am relatively naive to gardening, but now really starting to get into it. Having recently enlarged my patio and installing new bushes, I had researched with the help of my local, most awesome Nursery (Woody's Nursery - Duluth, Ga.), decided that I wanted a Camellia in a tree form to be one of the focal points for this new area I have created. Unfortunately, he could not give me much advice on training these.

Type: Alabama Beauty Red Camellia Susquehanna. I wanted a larger bush to start with and my nurseryman found a nice 15gl that had what we thought was a great trunk form for my purpose. The bush is about 2-months now in its new home and is blooming quite nicely. The bush has stalks shooting up to 10' tall, which I love (got to love these garden sites that say these will only get 6-8ft max height). However, my ultimate goal is about a 15ft tree with a nice bushy canopy in tree form.
My questions are:
1. When to prune?
2. Where to prune...in other words, how far up should I cut, how and where should I start cutting?
3. Do I need to cut the top at all at this point?
4. In addition, looking at the pictures I have attached, I show a close up of one of the leaves with what looks to me to be leaf spot. It is more noticeable on the backside of the leave, and currently only affecting a few. Does anyone see this as an issue and know what I can do now, if anything, to thwart any problems.

PS....just realized I can only post one pic at time and selected this one. I dont have a website where I can post severla for all to see. However, I can post more on any reply's.

Thank you very much to any an all who respond!!

Christopher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limb Up / Shape to Tree Standard - Help Appreciated.

Base of Tree

o
RE2: Limb Up / Shape to Tree Standard - Help Appreciated.

Leave Spot Maybe - Any ideas?

o
RE: Limb Up / Shape to Tree Standard - Help Appreciated.

the leaf spots could be oedema. search the internet for pics of that condition (has to do with excess moisture).
hard to tell from your photo.

have a look at dorie's reply (linked below) to a similar thread from this site on pruning a large camellia. i would prune after flowering, before new growth commences.
you could remove some of the small branches in conjested areas to give a more open form, especially near the base. start by thinning small stuff and step back and look for the form you want.
camellias can recover from severe or rejuvenation pruning although not as quickly as some other plants.
looks like there is a major branch headed toward the house. you could take that one off and clean up the trunk a few feet higher but it all depends on what you like. start with a few and go from there. doesn't have to be done all at once.

Here is a link that might be useful: pruning a large camellia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here