Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which of three camellias for low-ish hedge

Posted by jenlantia 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 8:29

Hello -

I am looking forward to a beautiful low hedge of those shiny green leaves on a south facing hedegline about 25 feet long. I have three common white blooming camellias to choose from - and wondered if anyone has reasons to choose one over the others. My dream hedge would start with plants 4 feet tall and the would grow to about 6 over several to many years, though it seems 8 or more is likely for many camellias. I am going to have to work on the hedge as the space is narrow. The three under consideration are:
Cam Sas. White Doves
Cam Sas . Setsugekka
Cam hybrid White Snowman

Thanks for any points to consider-

Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which of three camellias for low-ish hedge

Here are excerpts from the Web Camellia Register about plant habits:

'Setsugekka': Leaves deep green, a little weeping. Upright, fast grower. Early flowering.

'Mine-no-yuki' AKA 'White Doves': Leaves, dull, dark green, sometimes variegated, 4 cm x 2.5 cm, slightly serrate, apices blunt acute. Habit is willowy, spreading, medium vigorous and blooms heavily.

'Winter's Snowman': Plant growth is upright, average and medium, with dark green leaves 7.5 cm long x 3.5 cm wide.

You may also want to do an image search with your search engine of choice to get a visual idea of what these plants look like. If you're wanting shiny, dark leaves, Mine-no-yuki may not have leaves shiny enough?

I don't see a camellia hybrid named 'White Snowman', but 'Winter's Snowman' is a cold-hardy Ackerman hybrid. I would be curious to hear from anyone who has grown these cold-hardy hybrids in warmer areas of the country?

Here is a link that might be useful: Web Camellia Register

o

Thank you vmr423. Indeed I used google images but it is at times difficult to find a nice view of the established shrub. There are always good images of the blooms!
I'm having trouble deciding because two sound "floppy" and one - Winter Snowman seems like it will outgrow its space.

I'll make a choice today though!

Jennifer

o

I would guess any of those can grow rather large, but you should be able to keep them 'in line' by periodically cutting them back. Camellias don't mind some pruning/shaping; if you occasionally whack off the tops, they will grow out and get bushier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here