Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia reticulata hybrids suited to Maryland?

Posted by greenguy1 z7 Maryland (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 2, 04 at 8:33

I'm a camellia novice, having gotten hooked after moving to a home where some were planted by the former owner (no labels, definitely sasanquas, appear similar to 'Setsugekka' in size color and form, very fragrant, one of them has a big branch that has sported to deep rose red flowers). I've planted a few more in the last two years - 'Shishigashira' and 'Jean May' for fall bloom, 'Moonlight Bay' and an unidentified red japonica propagated by a neighbor for spring.

I'm reading a lot about C. reticulata hybrids, and I'm wondering if they are suited to my zone 7b location in Annapolis, Maryland. If so, I'm interested in any recommendations for cultivars. I tend to like solid colors rather than variegated flowers, and am definitely partial to light, clear pinks - BUT, I will happily take recommendations on any and all varieties, because, you never know, I just might like it........

Thanks.

- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia reticulata hybrids suited to Maryland?

Retics are more tender than Japonicas and Sasanquas. I would encourage you to get in touch with the members of the Camellia Society of the Potomac Valley, who are from your area and are all very knowledgeable and delighted to help, including Dr. William Ackerman who has been very active in experimenting with cold hardiness in different varieties and hybrids there in DC/Maryland. (See link below.) You are fortunate to be near them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Society of Potomac Valley

o

i have been growing several retic hybrids in central alabama and have been quite successful. the largest is a clear pink called 'lila naff'. its loaded with buds now, but usually blooms later in feb. i planted it as a small one gallon plant 12 years ago. it is over 10 ft tall and nearly as wide.

o

Oh yes, the retic hybrids do well in our Alabama climate, aren't they wonderful! I don't know about Maryland, though, especially outside. Here along the gulf coast we can also grow some pure reticulatas, of which I have a few and would love to have more. They are not so easy to find.

o

Could someone please answer the original question? What is the northernmost zone in which Reticulatas will thrive?

o

Steve--I've tried growing some Reticulatas and R. hybrids outdoors without success here in 7a--they just don't make it through the winter even with protection. As a compromise, I've grown a couple of them in pots which get brought into my cool sunroom for the winters. Well worth the effort--Clifford D. Parks is simply the most astounding bloom I've ever seen. Kai Mei's Choice also does well in the pot. They're kind of straggly, but Reticulatas grow that way--not in an unattractive way, but definitely less full than the Japonicas I also grow in pots. And, bonus! they start their bloom in the sunroom in February when everything outdoors is still dormant and ravaged by the dingblursted deer. Indoors, the blooms individually last about 2 weeks on the bush and by the time they finish up, things get going outdoors. Give it some thought.

-eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here