Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any success with propagating from cuttings

Posted by pansyface z7a GA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 22, 08 at 8:49

Has any gardener had success with propagating from cuttings here in Atlanta? When should this be done here? Do you need bottom heat, mist system, etc.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any success with propagating from cuttings

Here is information on that subject, courtesy of the American Camellia Society Website. Most camellias can be propagated via cuttings taken around the summer time. I have not taken cuttings this time of the year so I cannot comment on how successful anyone would be. Put the odds on your favor by taking many cuttings instead of just one, two or three.

Here is a link that might be useful: Methods of propagating camellias

o

Most folks feel the optimun time is mid summer here in the south, just after the new flush of growth has hardened off & the humidity is high. But I know of many folks that have GOOD sucess in every month except september-- so go for it!!!!!!

o

I have been successful cutting them in the fall and rooting them in a forsythe pot on an enclosed porch. I have had more success then than in the heat of the summer.
Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here