Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Camellia ID!

Posted by nanflower 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 12:53

Hi,

I am trying to identify a camellia that is about 40 years old. The plant itself is about 8-10 tall, and the flowers are hot pink with yellow stamens and about 5" in diameter, and the leaves dark leathery green (sorry, it's not a very exciting one) - see pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/weedsbloom/sets/72157625286618291/

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Camellia ID!

Here's a workable link to your photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weedsbloom/sets/72157625286618291/

Sorry, but I can't help you with an ID.

o
RE: Mystery Camellia ID!

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 25, 10 at 21:48

Definitely a Camellia japonica cultivar. There are legions of those, but this may be a comparatively common one. You might try taking samples of the flowering shoots to local independent garden center(s) to see if they have the same one in stock, or can recognize it without having matching plants to compare with.

If there is a camellia membership organization operating in your vicinity going to one of their meetings or shows might result in an identification. Of course, if you showed up at a membership meeting, got you plant named and then took off that might be a bit awkward. Shows are much more public, non-members filtering in and out the whole time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here