Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
camellia sinensis fungus/dieback? Help!

Posted by JJGestapo 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 13:58

I'm new to growing camellia sinensis. I bough a baby plant a few months ago and decided to container plant it because its too cold where I live to leave it outside all winter. For the summer I let it stay outside, but then the green leaves started getting spots on them. In fall it bloomed, and had plenty of flowers on it.

Then the spots spread to all the leaves and I researched as much as I could on diseases, and decided it had a fungus that it caught from the outside environment. So I sprayed it, changed the top layer of soil, and brought it inside (its too cold for it outside now). It gets sunlight, but is in a cooler room of the house (like 65 ^F in there).

I noticed some of the shoots have dark stems, but I don't know if it is infected, dieing back, or what is happening. What can I do to protect it? What can I do to help it and get rid of the disease, or help boost its immune system? Is there a specific type of fungicide I should use?

Please, any help I would greatly appreciate it. I love my plant and I don't want it to die :( Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: camellia sinensis fungus/dieback? Help!

Hello, JJGestapo. Has it been stressed? Have you cut the camellia's leaves or stems at all since you bought it? What fungicide did you use to treat it? Is the soil kept evenly moist or does it have periods of wet/moistdry? Does water drain off easily? Does the pot have enough drainage holes at the bottom? Where did you get the plant from? Where are you located (in case it makes a difference?

Also, can you post photo of the entire plant and another one of one just one of the leaves so I can see some detail of the spots?

This post was edited by luis_pr on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 16:09

o

Hello?

o

I bought from plant from a person out of OH. The plant had been stressed, as it went from outdoors to indoors because I live in NY (zone 5a I believe) where it was too cold to live outside. Once it moved indoors, the leaf "blight" continued. I used a general fungicide that was recommended by a local nursery -they admitted they were not very familiar with the plant. The water did drain out, but I fear it may have drained out too quickly sometimes. Around the fall time when I brought it inside, I also was unlucky to have fungus knats infest it, which definitely weakened and stressed my poor plant. It sadly died despite my best efforts to keep it alive :( With it also being indoors, I think it was too dry for it. I do not have any full scale photos offhand, but I will look for some when it was alive to post later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here