Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njoynit

rooting camillias

njoynit
19 years ago

I have a camillia tree that blooms Nov-March.I took cuttings in aug and have been in glass rooting.I have no roots yet,but are not dead are still green& the tip is getting a bit taller I guess is some possible bud for bloom or possible leaf.

Any idea how long till get some roots?

I tried rooting in soil and did not make it.

Comments (10)

• CamelliaJim
    19 years ago

Camellias should be rooted in a free draining medium such as, sand, peat moss or perilite or a combination of these. Best results are obtained using a rooting hormone for woody plants. Bottom heat is also desirable. You should construct a mini-greenhouse for you rooting. Roots usually are formed in 6-8 weeks depending on the variety.

• njoynit
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I tried stright sand...no luck
    I tried perlight...no luck
    perlight/peat mix....no luck

bought a bag of seed starter mix,not miricle grow the brand with orange/yellow& and green white sunrays?? did not work.all had same result they turned and died.camillia society forum said water root.they are not dead,but no roots yet either.the wood is semi woody,can see the more woody part of stem in water.are in 4 inches of water.was some root starter in there but not now.

• CamelliaJim
    19 years ago

Camellias are not going to root in water. When they are rooted in a medium of sand, peatmoss, perlite, etc. the cuttings must surrounded with high humidity and should be enclosed in a mini-greenhouse such as a large plastic bag or under a cloche such as a large jar.

• longriver
    19 years ago

I second Mrbee'S advice. Hope that the rooting area is warm day and night. If you think you have a challenge, here is one for you:

I jointed International Camellia Society meeting in China last March. We went to Wenzhuo City, Zhejing province to visit. We observed many large camellia branch sticks measured 3 to 4 inches in diameter. They all well rooted with lots of fiberous roots. I do have a picture. I am just not able to show you-all for fun.

• djw_nc
    19 years ago

I was able to root a cutting in water this past year. I cut a flower that was tucked behind the neighboring holly and out of sight. By the time the flower faded (about two weeks) I had the beginnings of roots. I cannot recall if I added anything to the water (cut flower food, asprin, water soluble fertilizer). I let the branch sit on the shelf in the kitchen and do what it would.

I wasn't trying to root that cutting, but if it wanted to I wouldn't stop it!

I should have kept a closer eye on it: when I checked on it last it had produced two small leaf buds, but the algae had coated the roots that had developed and the full leaves were browning. I threw it out at that point, giving up what little effort I had put into it.

All of this is just to say, rooting in water can probably be done, just watch out for other problems.

• njoynit
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well they are still in the glass,They have aquired a new leaf on some of them.thats what the green thing was on tips& some are aquireing more leaf tips at lower places.

I'm south TX I'm humiud most of the time unless a cool front paasses through,plus live in the woods so that just adds to my humidity.I'd love a cool front today.Humidity is 88% sleept with windows and the doors open and fans on.it has finally dropped to 73 but was 76 last night and was 84 in the house.My camillia tree has started blooming though.it has 4 flowers fully open.been a week.1st one still weird looking.all the center did not open.

so how thick are the cuttings you have rooted.mine are not thick.are tips with last years wood 10-12 inches long.lucky if 1/8 inch.its almost the diameter of my USB cord...for a realitic picture.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

Cuttings rooted for me that were just stuck in the ground underneath some azaleas on the north side of tall pines. Patience is necessary.

• jon55
    19 years ago

i've rooted them in vermiculite,with rooting hormone, no more than three leaves per cutting taken in the spring, and misted every six hours in an enclosed "cold frame" designed for cuttings. they have seemed to be the slowest to root compared to azaleas, hydrangeas, etc, but mortality rate has been low, apx 70% success.

• Lauren Clear
    19 years ago

I have very good luck rooting camellias. I have sandy loam soil so that helps. I also have acid pH soil. I simply clip a stem, stripping off the lower leaves. After dipping in root hormone, I stick it in the soil in a shady spot on the east side. I cover them with a 2liter soda bottle with the bottom and cap off. Some are faster to root than others. Some only need a few weeks. Others will take months, but will really accelerate the growth in the spring. Hang in there.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions