Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrazone9socal

newbie needs advice

debrazone9socal
19 years ago

I live on property that used to be the home of half a dozen old (like 30 years) camellias, all over 15 feet tall. After we built our house, only one remained, and I vowed to take care of it. I had to transplant it over the summer, but it seems to have weathered the shock well.

I have now purchased two japonicas, both pink peony shaped (sorry I don't have the varieties in front of me right now) in five gallon cans, both large and loaded with buds, about 3 feet tall. My goal is to plant them in an area that is either totally shaded or in dappled shade with no more than an hour or two of direct sun.

Since my other camellia gets more sun (and has done well), I am concerned that these areas are too shady. I have hydrangeas and azaleas in this area, all doing okay, but getting about one more hour of sun than in the intended location.

Whaddya think? Is deep shade/dappled shade enough? Will the blooms lessen? Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Oh yeah, I'm in zone 9/10, southern California, Sunset zone 20. No hardiness issue.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions