Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yuletide before hard frost

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 18:39

Going to see cold temps in next few nights. Enjoying Yuletide while I can.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yuletide before hard frost

Well, how did it do against the hard frost?

o

Fried flowers as usual

o

Hee hee hee! Oh well......

o

My turn. I just went thru a hard freeze due to the ice/freezing rain/sleet in the winter storm that passed thru here starting Thursday Night. Soooo, crap, there goes my opening of blooms celebration... for a while. Just when I thought the buds were going to start getting big and open, they are now probably going to stay and open later. Sigh.... Oh well. I feel like my dogs probably feel when I feed them and tell them to 'wait' before they start to eat. Now I am the one waiting before I see any open blooms.

The storm should be in the NE today so I hope all you get is rain.

o

At what temperature will Yuletides experience cold damage/bud drop?

Do we need to add 5 degrees if potted vs. in-ground?

o

Just guessing on this. Open flowers freeze easily - like around 28 to 29 degrees. Unopened buds probably die in lower 20s to upper teens? Not sure.

If in pots I don't think the buds are any more tender. But the roots are more vulnerable.

o

Approximate numbers that I have seen on various articles:

Open camellia blossoms are normally damaged at temperatures around +28 degrees F (or less) while flower buds are damaged at temperatures around +15 degrees F (or less). Sasanquas and Japonicas begin to show damage to the shrub around -12 degrees F or less; reticulatas and oleiferas around -9 degrees F.

o

I have found that many of the Fall bloomers (Sasanqua / hiemalis / vernalis / etc) have more tender buds than the japonicas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here