Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

So Many Camellias, so Little space!

Donna
15 years ago

I have been developing a camellia border for several years now. I find that I have room for one to three more. I am listing what I do have. I would love to hear your recommendations as to really good ones to fill my spots.

Kramers Supreme

Glen 40

Freedom Bell

Yuletide

Pink Perfection

Donation

Sawada's Dream

White at the Gate

Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops! I was just perusing the other posts here and see that there is a very similar one just down the list. Sorry for not looking first. Thanks to all who responded to that and especially for the links. They are very helpful. Donna

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

hard to find one i don't like but 'magnoliaeflora' is beautiful to me for its simplicity and soft color.
    from the photos at the website linked below, i would like to add 'r.l. wheeler' to my collection.
    my first purchase years ago was 'c.m. wilson'. very dark foliage on this one enhances the display of pink flowers. (thumbnails)
    {{gwi:516168}}
    'nuccio's pearl' is just about perfect if you like the formals.
    {{gwi:516169}}
    seems like most of mine are shades of pink or white but a good red that i found locally at a box store is 'don mac'.
    {{gwi:516170}}
    haven't bought any new ones lately but the time is here to browse the nurseries!

Here is a link that might be useful: camellias at wintergarden

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jeff! These are all three lovely. Does this website belong to a nursery that sells mail order? I didn't see any ordering information. I particularly like the first one here. It is just breathtaking!

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

donna,
    the link is part of the greennurseries website. they sell wholesale only that i am aware of but, being a garden designer yourself, you might be able to qualify as a client.
    you can back into the homepage from the link provided to contact them. they are in south alabama, near mobile.
    i have never purchased camellias online. i have found all of mine either at local nurseries, box-store garden centers or our local kiwanis club spring sale here in auburn.
    the kiwanis club gets some of their camellia and azalea shrubs from dodd nurseries in s. alabama.
    yep, 'c.m. wilson' was the one that got me hooked on them. don't you love the form and colors on that one!

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

And yes, donna, so little shaded space indeed..... I can never seem to have enough space to equate all my wannahaves. I have been looking at some of the camellia pictures by okintos and would love to have some of the purple ones he photographed in Spain. Of course, I cannot find them here.

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My favorite thing about gardenweb is that I don't have to try to explain my craziness over plants to other people! :)
    Camellias are quite new to me. I have only been growing them for 5 years, but boy am I hooked! Thank you, jeff, for the name of that gorgeous pink one at the top above: c.m. wilson, right? I will definitely be on the lookout for it.

Sponsored
More Discussions