Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why does my camelia grop its leaves?

Posted by kiettran Z10SanDiego (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 6, 06 at 20:20

Hi,

I noticed that my camelia which is about 6 feet tall has been dropping its leaves in the last several weeks. The dropped leaves were still green. It has a lot of flowering bud and none of them seem to be able to open into flower. It is in a shaded area and has been receiving water once a week. Is there anything wrong or anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks,

Kiet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why does my camelia grop its leaves?

It sounds like a root fungus to me. A soil drench of fungicide, repeated in 2 weeks, may save it from getting worse. Until the roots start working again, the plant cannot take up moisture to feed the leaves (and push open the buds). The plant will shed leaves as a survival instinct to stay alive, keeping the moisture in the trunk. Once the root problem is stabilized, the leaves will come back. The only other thing you can do is cross your fingers and say your prayers. If the problem isn't corrected, the plant will die slowly.

o

I think you could watering it more. A root fungus means yellow leaves for me.

Is it in soil or in a container ?

For flowering, it's early? What kind of camellia is it ?

o

The symptoms of a severe root fungus are the same symptoms as drought. The leaves begin wilting and fall off, while still green, because the roots have quit working. One's first reaction often is to give it more water, which can be the worst thing to do. (I have learned the hard way.) But in arid conditions like San Diego, it may indeed be dry conditions. Scratch the bark to see if it is green and viable, both on the trunk but also out on some of the smaller barren limbs. If in doubt, it would not hurt the the plant to apply a soil drench of fungicide as a precaution.

o

There are so many "if"s about your situation. If it is caused by dehydration. Watering is the key. If the plant is in ground. You need to use a thin stick to open up the dry root area( water will not penetrate the dry mass) to let water thoroughly reaching the roots. If the plant is in a large pot. You can find a large trash can to soak the dry root mass for about one hour.

If the root is very wet already, root rot can be a tough issue. I am very sure you can do some common sense investigation to find out the possibility of dehydration or root fungus. I hope your plant problem is only water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here