Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmarker

C. sasanqua Recommendations

plantmarker
13 years ago

Hello Folks -

I am looking for your C. sasanqua recommendations for my USDA Zone 7A garden in North Carolina. I am looking for cultivars that possess as many of these traits all in one cultivar as possible:

1) Long bloom season,

2) Large blooms,

3) Formal double, peony or anemone bloom form.

I am interested in a myriad of colors.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

PlantMarker

Comments (6)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

I could list some possibilities. But in your case, I would recommend a drive to Chapel Hill, NC where Camellia Forest Nursery is located so you can seee the shrubs on the spot! You can see other "nearby" nurseries here: http://www.camellias-acs.com/display.aspx?catid=4,133,331

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Forest Nursery

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

My sasanquas are quite new in the ground, so I don't really have a good record of their blooming yet. BUT, you might look for putting in some that bloom early, some mid-season, and some later, to extend the 'season'.

Also, they come in different plant shapes (upright, spreading, etc.), so you'll want to select based on plant shape and height as well. For example, Winter's Joy is more upright and a fast grower, 'Shishi Gashira' is more spreading.

Look for the 'Ashton' series for really hardy varieties.

Don't leave out the japonicas. My Spring's promise has started blooming and will continue off and on until Spring...with warm spells. Now that's a long bloom season!

Where in NC are you? You may be 7B and are less limited.

• jay_7bsc
    13 years ago

'Chansonette' is a formal double, pink sasanqua. 'Jean May' a double light pink sasanqua that blooms early. 'Shishigashira' a dark pink semi-double to double _Camellia hiemalis_, which nurserymen generally label sasanqua. Ditto _Showa-no-Sakae_, which is a beautiful double pink. _Mine-no-Yuki_, aka 'Snow on the Mountain' or 'White Doves,' is a venerable old white-flowered, semi-double to double sasanqua, which is unsurpassed in beauty. Ours is in full-bloom right now and looks splendid, as does our 'Pink Snow,' which is thought to have originated as a seedling of 'Mine-no-Yuki.' 'Pink Snow' is a semi-double to double pink and a striking beauty. 'Our Linda' is another good double pink that I have growing in containers until the plants attain a little size. I bought a gallon nursery pot of 'Our Linda,' in which there were four plants.

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

Hello PlantMarker,

My favorite sasanqua isn't really a sasanqua, but an hiemalis: Shishigashira. It doesn't have the large blooms that you're looking for, but makes up for that in the huge numbers of tiny rosette rose-colored blooms that last well on the bush and in a vase. It looks like a wide little ornamated Christmas tree when all abloom with those cheerful red double flowers. It is totally, totally hardy and its bloom season lasted here from September until early February last year (but not usually anything much past mid-December). It will grow, bloom, and do well in full sun to almost no direct sunlight.

Bonanza probably has everything you are looking for in a true or deep red. We've just gotten started with Bonanza so it's a little early to tell too much about that one's degree of petal fragility (my concern with sasanquas generally, since I like to cut them for vases). I don't yet know the length of its blooming season, but it started around mid-October. Anyway, its blooms are spectacularly perfect, not noticeably different than many of the showiest japonicas. It is sold as a sasanqua but, like Shishigashira, is really an hiemalis. It is supposed to be hardy too. I'm hoping it's as easy to grow as Shishigashira has been.

Another really nice one is Stephanie Golden. Fragrant, large showy semi-double to double peony pink flowers.

A lovely white one is Setsugekka. It's not exactly the double you described, but Setsugekka is as luxuriously pretty as any blooms of any camellias of any type anywhere. Its blooms are ruffled, huge, and semi-double, and the vigorous plant makes quite a statement in the landscape. Wonderfully fragrant, it is supposed to be easy to grow. We just got started with that one, and its (HUGE) blooms surprise me with their beauty each time I look its way.

We have just bought a couple of Chansonettes but I haven't seen them bloom yet; they have a nice weepy form to the plants though.

Pink Icicles is supposed to be a spring bloomer but my husband bought some that are fall bloomers from Lowe's. They look nice but overall I don't think they are as frilly fancy as what you might have in mind. Stephanie Golden would better fit what you want in the pinks, I'd guess. Or maybe Chansonette.

Best wishes,
    Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Setsugekka Camellia sasanqua at Monrovia Nursery

• jay_7bsc
    13 years ago

_Sparkling Burgundy_ is another excellent, double, deep rose pink sasanqua that blooms very early.

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. To answer your question, dave in nova, I live in the Triad area of N.C. (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point).

Regards,

PlantMarker

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions