Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Prince Eugene Napoleon

sandy808
16 years ago

Three or four years ago I planted a 5 gallon PEN, and while it has grown considerably, it has never once bloomed. Out of 10 camellias planted at the same time, this is the only one that never gave me one flower. It was not planted too deeply, which I know can prevent a camellia from blooming..

I have noticed that it is virused, as indicated by the leaves. Other than that it is a "healthy" grower (I am not a fan of any plant being virused).

I was told by one nursery that this particular variety is not a great bloomer.

I am getting ready to remove it and plant a different camellia. Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Most of my other plants are prolific bloomers.

Sandy

Comments (5)

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

Hello, Sandy. Leaf variegation is most often due to a virus. In such a scenario, the graft could have failed and the scion innoculated the plant with the virus. Although many people are attracted to variegation because it makes the plant somewhat unique but, not being a good bloomer would be a really bad characteristic. Pius IX (un-virused), another name for PEN, is not known for being a bad bloomer. It is often recommended for areas in Louisiana.

Regarding the blooming problem, does the shrub not have many flower buds or does it have flower buds that end browning out?

The virus could be changing the plant such that it is more finicky about water, sun, nutrient or weather issues. I am not saying that one of those IS your problem of course.... it's just something to think about too.

When trying to guess why a shrub (not necessarily a camellia) does not bloom, I try to identify possible causes by determining first if it produces flower buds normally or if the buds were developed fine but died afterwards. Then I consider sun, moisture, nutrients and weather issues during that time period.

Of course, you have invested lots of time and money on this plant so, if you reached the quitting point, remove it. It is your garden after all and there are plenty of replacements to be bought out there!

Happy holidays, Sandy!
    Luis

• sandy808
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Luis,

Thank you for your response. I am a frequent participnat on the rose forum, but I am new to the camellia forum.

I have several camellias on the north side of my house. They receive 6 months of sun, and in the late fall and winter months they all receive six months of bright, unobstructed shade.

All of my other camellias are blooming (when it's their time to bloom) their heads off.

They are irrigated regularly and I use organic fertilizer and compost, etc. a couple of times a year.

The only thing I can figure is that because it is virused, it has issues! It has never even set one bud. I had one other camellia that was virused, and it, too, never once bloomed. It also stayed puny. When I removed it, the root system was not impressive. I do not keep roses that are virused either because they are never quite right.

I like leaf variegation if it is natural for the plant to do so. When someone innoculates a plant with a virus, in my opinion, they are making it ill, just as we humans would be when contracting a virus.

It sounds like I should replace it with something better. Sometimes I have to do the same with my antique roses.

Sandy

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

November and December are times when stores add lots of camellias so this is the shopping season -if you will- should you want to look for a replacement. And no one could blame you if you decide to plant something like a Souvenir de la Malmaison Rose instead of a camellia in that spot.

Do you require special stock on your camellias down there in Florida like Floridians sometimes do with roses?
    Luis

• sandy808
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Luis, I haven't heard that camellias need to be on any specific rootstock, although some people do graft some. Perhaps there are some varieties that are hard to grow unless grafted. I plant own root camellias, and for the most part own root antique roses. Some modern roses need to be on fortuniana.

The soil in my area is pretty good, and I ammend with organics, so the only thing so far that is a pain to grow is St. Augustine grass.

I yanked Napoleon out today and planted a very nice looking "Snow Chan" that is loaded with buds.

I've bought a few other pretty camellias. I hope I have room for them all. I may try to grow one on a trellis that doesn't get enough sun for a rose.

Souvenir de la Malmaison is a gorgeous rose. I need to get another.

Sandy

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

Roses may have a little problem if planted in shaded locations where camellias thrive. But some specific varities can surprise you. For example, I have seen Veilchenblau in heavy shade doing well (blackspot wise) and blooming heavily at some demonstration gardens that a local nursery has.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions