Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forrestal_gw

Bud set blues: whats your theory?

forrestal
19 years ago

It seems to me there are fairly widespread reports of below average budding this year, not just an isolated case. Here in my garden there are some camellias that are budding normally, yet others with almost none. Several other growers around here have similar reports. And now I see the post from Winterose about Nuccios experiencing the same, and the same from other posts. In other words, this does not seem to be totally cultural, maybe it is something atmospheric. Such as too much hot air from the elections? (Just joking.) Seriously, what would explain it? I would like to hear some theories.

Comment (1)

• CamelliaJim
    19 years ago

If you had a very heavy bud set last season and are having a light bud set this year might not be too uncommon. I think some camellia cultivars can be very cyclic in nature with a heavy bud set one year a very small bud set the next. I know in my garden there are some varieties that fit this pattern. The bud set here in northern CA seems to be extremely good this season. In addition, the blooming season seems to be very early as I have several varieties blooming a couple of months early.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions