Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?

Posted by astphard 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 22:42

I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's Gem and want to know which way we should go. Some of the factors I'm considering are:

1) Length of blooming season?
2) Size?
3) Quantity of blooms?
4) Health?
5) Shade tolerance?
6) Drought tolerance?
7) Other factors I can't think of?

I'm new to camellias and would like to get one or two for our yard. They (it) would be planted about 20 feet away from a mature live oak tree. So there is shade, but the branches are quite high and they would get enough light for camellias (according to some yard people who have seen the location).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?

I have both Pink Perfection and Debutante . Both are very nice. Sounds like you have a good place. Go for it. Camellias are very easy to grow. They are beautiful, but only bloom for a short time .

o

I'm no expert, but I was watching the camellia video from Erinon Nursery on YouTube the other day and he mentioned that most growers aren't growing pink perfection anymore because of healthy/vigor issues. Jerry recommended Nancy ?Lynn? on the video at 20:25. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHNTWTK9BUk

Hope this helps,
Brad

o

I grow both Pink Perfection and Nuccio's Cameo. Both are similarly hardy here in 7a, but definitely, Nuccio's Cameo is much slower growing--kind of a dwarfish plant--whereas Pink Perfection grew quite quickly into a large bush. NC has a "fancier" bloom and seems to be a bit more floriferous than PP, although both do perform well here. Debutante was mentioned by leenshirley--I have that one as well and it is currently blooming--it's one of my older bushes which didn't used to bloom in the autumn but rather waited until spring (with some winter damage to the buds). But for the past 4-5 years, more and more blooms have been occurring in Nov/Dec. In any event, it's a beautiful bloom too and that bush is HUGE.

o

We have two Pink Perfections that are over 40 years old and over 10'tall
They have had no health or growing problems,whereas some of the others occasionaly have white fly problems

o

I forgot to mention they are blooming now,two months ahead of time

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here