Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whatís up with Camellia Forestís version of Winterís Rose?

Posted by lizelle z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 18, 09 at 23:35

I ordered this plant from Camellia Forest after reading good things about the nursery here. I genuinely thought they had mislabeled the plant they sent me, but they assured me that it was indeed, Winterís Rose.

When the bud started to open I thought it was deformed & the result of an experiment gone horribly wrong. There was nothing that I found attractive about the flower! Its white (not soft shell pink) it has a dark center (not yellow) & then there's the whole "looking deformed while opening" thingÖ. Whereís my delicate rose bud like flower!

The plant looks nothing like the one advertised on their website and here is the plant they sent me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whatís up with Camellia Forestís version of Winterís Rose?

Was that flower bud on the plant when you got it? It may have suffered in transit. Also, is your plant indoors? That could be a factor if it's warm and dry. Any stress normally causes buds to brown and fall off, so if stress is the reason, it's surprising that it opened at all. I don't know if you plan to put the plant in the ground next spring or in a pot, but maybe if it grows a complete season outdoors it will open flowers normally. It's always possible that you got a mislabeled plant, but CamForest is pretty good.

o

Get that plant in the ground.
It's drying out!
Mulch good, and don't plant it too deep, level with the soil or a little higher up on a small mound.
Water good, she's dry.
Then watch her bloom!
Good Luck!

o

Yes, the buds were on the plant when I got it. None of them have dropped off. Hopefully it's just stressed from travel but it sure does have a long way to go before transforming to the swan I know WR to be.
The plant is well mulched with rotted compost. Definitely not dry.

o

Lizelle you still don't say where this plant is growing. Is it indoors or out? If it's in a pot and you have added a lot of rotted compost, that could be an issue. Camellias like good drainage and need some aeration in the soil, especially if they are in a pot. The heavy mulch could be too much. No doubt your plant is stressed, but without more details it's hard to say what's causing it.

o

My 'Winter Rose' looks like the catalog pic. newly planted (small) camellias sometimes have atypical flowers.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 19:30

I agree that the flower shown looks like the plant is being adversely affected by its current, apparently too dry situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here