Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - look for a 'fast' growing camellia

Posted by doudou 9a Houston, TX (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 04 at 23:44

Can anyone suggest a relatively fast growing camellia in Houston area (9a)? I would really love to plant one at north side of my house. I heard camellias were difficult to grow and were slow growers, but hope there might be some out there for beginners.

The plant needs to be in upright form. My color preference goes with white, pink, then red, because my house is a red one. I have two spots available - one receives morning sun and afternoon shade; the other one is just the opposite.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - look for a 'fast' growing camellia

I believe that the Kanjiro camellia is supposed to be relatively fast growing for camellias (in general, camellias are slow growers).

o

• Posted by GAAlan z8 Atlanta (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 17:54

As I was reading your title I was thinking about my Kanjiro too. I planted a one gallon on December 22, 2001 and at the time it was 2'6". I just measured it at 6'6". It would actually be several inches taller than this, but I did some light trimming a month or two ago.

o

• Posted by doudou 9a Houston, TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 22:54

Thanks! I looked at the picture of Kanjiro, it is soooo pretty. I definited will put it on my list.

o

Many of the Reticulata hybrids are fast growers. "Linda Carol" (light pink)is real fast grower in my garden. Also, Non-Reticulata hybrids such as "Dolores Edwards" (pink) and "Honeymoon" (creamy white)grow extremly fast. The problem with many of the hybrids is that they don't have great foliage like the Japonicas.

o

Ditto to the above, and I would simply add 'Daydream' to the list, which is a sasanqua that is strong and fast growing here, which is the same climate as yours. It has large pretty blooms in the fall. And one more solution, if you are looking for only one plant, and you want a japonica, is to just splurge and buy a big one!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here