Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (16)

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

It looks like a Carolina Cherrylaurel(Prunus caroliniana).

• hostalover360
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That looks very close to what the leaves look like, but the leaves on this plant have little Teeth on them, Here is a closer look at the leaves

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14877967@N03/4162197484/

• User
    14 years ago

Hostalover360,
    No. That is definately not a camellia.
    I can't positively identify what it IS, but I know what it isn't, and that is not a camellia.
    Sorry.

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

Your plant is a Carolina Cherrylaurel. Young plants have more teeth on the leaves than do those on older plants. It is not uncommon for the leaves on young plants of many species to look nothing like they do on mature plants.

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

I just thought about one other characterisitic that would help settle the question, odor. Scratch a piece of the stem or a cut a small piece of leaf. Cherrylaurel has a strong odor.

• hostalover360
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did some reshearch last night and found out that it is indeed a Cherry Laurel. Thanks for your help!

• hostalover360
    Original Author
    14 years ago

after looking in to it more, My dad called the place where we got it from and she garentees us that it is a "Camellia sasanqua" could anyone say that this is what it is instead?

• jean001
    14 years ago

Neither of my sasanquas have leaf edges like that. Perhaps it was mis-labeled?

• hostalover360
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not sure, At this point, I'm just trying to find out exactly what it is, I see that the leaves look more like

Camellia Narumigata

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

Carolina Cherrylaurel. Scratch or break and sniff the leaves. They should have a smell of maraschino cherries. Also, it's common for cherrylaurels to get those round holes in the leaves. Sasanqua leaves would have a thicker substance. Take it back to the nursery and compare it with known sasanquas.

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

Have you tried to test for odor yet?

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

The laurel is likely to have a longer leaf relative to its length than the camellia.

The tea plant has a leaf more like the laurel, blooms in fall - as do sasanqua camellias. Possibly it is a tea plant. Since there is no link here I have not seen the photo. Cutting and pasting typed out links posted here (instead of using the Optional Link URL slot provided below the Message box) into Google has seldom worked for me in the past, so I quit trying.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

Here are the images.

{{gwi:516771}}

{{gwi:516773}}

• hostalover360
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dave for posting mny pictures, I have still not found out how to do that.

I did break one of the leaves and smelled it but it didn't smell like cherries, I may try it again though.

and Dave It's not possible for my to take it back to a nursery, It was dug out of the ground in my Grandmas yard in Tuscaloosa,AL next to a plant, that they she and my dad was sure it was a Camellia, They even compared leaves before they dug it up.

• jeff_al
    14 years ago

could it be photinia serrulata?

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I thought of Photinia serratifolia (syn. P. serrulata) also. But the leaf shapes and arrangement are like those of Prunus caroliniana.

Definitely not a camellia, at any rate.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions