Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
something eating the flower buds

Posted by tomkaren z9 Citrus Co FL (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 14:59

My camellia bush was loaded wiTh buds in all stages of opening. Now most are gone and look like the buds are just cut off. What could be the culprit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: something eating the flower buds

Size of the buds when they went missing?
Squirrels? Birds? Drought-stress?

Any chance of pictures of a damaged bud?

o

Not sure what your area is like, but here (northern VA) we're overrun with deer and they LOVE to gnaw camellias (esp smaller plants) all the way back to the branches--some of my younger camellias get entirely stripped if I don't protect them.

o

sounds like deer to me, too.
some years are worse than others around my yard. they usually don't bother the leaves or branches on mine but they will take almost every flower bud, open or tightly closed, from the shrub.
i have had success in years past by putting out strongly scented bar soap shavings wedged in the branches. have to do that before they discover the flowers, though.
irish spring is a soap i used which kept them away. if you cut the soap pieces large enough, they will stay there through several rains and melt into the branch crotches.

o

No deer here, only squirrels. This plant has been growing here many years and never before been bothered. Have no idea what has changed.

o

Squirrels will eat the buds here. I see bits and pieces lying on the deck rails where they 'sit and eat'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here