Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever Heard Of A Sasanqua 'Rosey Red'?

Posted by sandy808 9Fl (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 07 at 18:23

I bought this at Lowes the other day and am debating about whether I should take it back or not. It is healthy and a very pretty hot pink single with golden stamens, but even the nursey that it originated from (Carolina Nursery) didn't have a clue about any info.

I've done a search on the internet and have come up dry. It would be nice to know the growth habit and whether it is truly suited to Florida. None of the Florida growers that I contacted heard of it.

Has anyone else heard of it, or grow it?

Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever Heard Of A Sasanqua 'Rosey Red'?

Well, I wasn't sure about how well this one would hold up in Florida, so I took it back. No one seems to know anything about it.

Sandy

o

Camellias should do fine where you are, with a little protection from the full, blazing sun. I think if you look around your community, you'll see tons of colorful camellias blooming all through the fall and winter.

I don't know about this cultivar, in particular, but I lived in coastal zone 8b where camellias thrive in sandy soil within a stone's throw from the beach.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 7, 07 at 15:49

Maybe the cultivar name was lost at some point and "rosy red" is a description being used in its place. Otherwise, a great many camellias have been selected and named - have tried searching the name on the internet?

o

I searched all over the place, and couldn't find a thing out about it. I have to admit that I was annoyed when the nursery that it came from couldn't even tell me anything about it.

Camellias do wonderfully here, but like any plant, there are some that will thrive in certain locales, and some that won't. That's why I decided to stick with camellias that the camellia farms in Florida are selling.

I am fortunate to have access to great camellias close to where I live, and they are privately owned by local people who love what they are doing. I like to give them my business, and they are wonderful with customer service.

Believe it or not, I've even gotten some of them to thrive in a great deal of sunshine. I think the key is lots of pine bark mulch, plenty of water when it is hot out, and lots of organics to feed the soil.

Sometimes I wonder if "Rosey Red" would have done well here, but I've since gotten some really nice ones that I am sure are adapted to my climate.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here