Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my neighbors mature oaks. They are on the West side, planted along a wood privacy fence and when the temps drop, they are damaged. They were planted in October and seem fine other than that.

The plants I have are 3 Japonica Black Magics, with 2 Japonica Autumn Mist between them. I plan to have more landscaping done this Spring and wanted some input. Trying to decide if I can add some sort of shrubs that would shelter them (winde break?) or whether that would even help at all. The buds that were covered in leaves are un damaged. Some of the damaged buds opened up when the temp warmed for a week or two (Autumn Mist is the only one blooming this time of year) and only had a brown spot of the edge where they had started to open during the freeze.

Picture taken from South side of property, facing North.

Merry Christmas!

Comments (11)

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

I am not sure if a wind break will help something that is due to temperatures fluctuating all over the map.

I have that type of damage every now and then too but it is not severe (a handful of blooms) so I do nothing about it. The shrubs are too big to winter protect so the only course of action for me is to let things be and-or get camellias that bloom before the wild temperature swings occur. That means sasanquas, early Fall flowering japonicas/hybrids (like the Autumn Series, Winter Series, Ashton Series, etc) and late flowering camellias (like the April Series).

I have seen some people water (the night before), cover them and add christmas lights inside. I have never tried so I cannot comment.

Luis

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Luis, I'm with you. Not going to go through all that to save some blooms. If landscaping additions would help, then that's a one time thing, but running out every time we have freezing temps, I will pass on that one. :)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I'm surprised how cold northern Alabama can get. But you probably have quick warmups.

It looks like your plants might get some morning winter sun? That's not the best location for them. Location is everything for camellias. Hopefully that tree you planted will grow up quickly and provide more shade.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I think they'll be fine once everything gets bigger, but if you do have a wind tunnel effect then some sort of screen/ windbreak would be helpful. Cold can do damage without wind, but wind can make things worse by drying out the plants; dried-out plants don't handle stressors like extreme temps as well.

I have about 200 camellia seedlings in pots in the back yard, and I only ever water them when they've dried out from lack of rain or too much wind. I don't cover them- if they can't survive tough love and cold weather, I don't want them. As I've mentioned before, squirrels are a greater threat to seedlings than cold weather.

Having said all that, I will mention that I covered my 'Sweet Jane' with an old sheet a few weeks ago when temps in the 20's were forecast. Not to protect the plant, but to protect the many buds that were already showing color.

I'm looking forward to seeing your young plants in bloom!

Virginia

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Unintentional duplication - please see below.

This post was edited by bboy on Sat, Feb 7, 15 at 15:49

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Maybe the cultivars you chose are not well adapted to outdoor cultivation in your zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. National Arboretum: Gardens: FAQs: Camellias: Expanding Their Territory

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Most camellias should be okay in zone 7, though flowering can be affected by cold temps in any zone.

Since the camellias were purchased locally (if memory serves), I suspect that they are appropriate to the area. 'Autumn Mist' has parents that are cold-hardy, and Camellia Forest advertises 'Black Magic' as hardy to zone 7.

It might be a good idea, though, to ask what sort of "damage" these young plants have, since it may be pretty minor, and nothing unexpected with a first-year-in-the-ground camellia?

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The autumn mist is actually one of the in ground specimens where I purchased. Talked to the owner and he wasn't worried in the least. It is their first year in the ground and damaged buds due to cold temps. We even had Japonicas blooming with sasanquas...crazy temps this season!

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow that's nice!

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Thanks- I do love the 'Professor'! I took this photo at a local park the other morning after a freeze. My own plant must be having a growth spurt since there are no buds/blooms this year. Or maybe I gave him a haircut too late in the season- I don't remember pruning, but that doesn't mean I didn't. He's a handsome plant anyway, but I'm looking forward to flowers next year.

Virginia

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions