Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longriver_gw

A Brand New Flower

longriver
15 years ago

This new flower of mine is blooming in China. My original plant so far has no flower bud yet. Their identical grafted plant has many flower buds. Obviously their condition favors to flower early.

This flower is about 3& 1/2 inches in diameter, tinge pink. This 'plain Jane' look flower is told to have attractive fragrance. They are doing follow up study about the fragrance profile. The origin of this fragrance is obviously not from C. lutchuenensis.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:517869}}

Comments (2)

• okintos
    15 years ago

Congratulations. Longriver, is you a good cultivator. I wish luck him in his works. His flagrant Camellia remembers a variety of Camellia sasanqua.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. OKintos

• longriver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your encouragement, Signor OKintos: I received the report on the first flower lasting for 8 days, from opening to wilting.
    1. The flower is about 3 & 1/2 inches in diameter. The fragrance was detected right at flower opening at 16 to 20 degrees C in a passive green house.
    2. You would smell the fragrance at 10 cm from the flower.
    3. The fragrance lasted more or less for almost 8 days.
    4. The fragrance resembles Yuh-Jee ( A native rose species blooms every month which is the original parentage plant of " Tea Rose " bred over 100 years ago. This hybrids has no C. sasanqua parentage. The plant resembles C. japonica and the flower growth habit did not behave like a C. sasanqua flower.

I feel any new fragrant camellia flower or any yellowish camellia flower are welcome addition to camellia gardeners.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists
More Discussions