Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Japonica blooming (pic)

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 20:47

I just love this very simple red flower. I can't even begin to describe how beautiful the whole tree is.

It looks similar to 'Adayaka', but the label just said Camellia japonica species - Korea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Japonica blooming (pic)

Splendid and OHMYGOD look at the size of those flower buds nursting to open! I am jealous, mine are still "not wuite there". Enjoy, Dave! A nice Christmas present from Mother Nature to you this year perhaps? Ha! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

o

It might be related to 'Korean Fire' or 'Longwood Valentine'.

Here is a link that might be useful: PHS Gold Medal Plants

o

Just wanted to add that this plant is at the National Arboretum. It is not mine. Wish it was. The label just said Camellia japonica species -- from Korea.

'Korean Fire' has much thinner leaves, so I don't think it's that.

I think it was a camellia that was collected in the wild...or at least some seed from the wild in Korea.

o

i think i have its twin in my garden!
grew this one from seed collected from my neighbors shrub.
the flowers on that one were bi-colored white with red stripes and more of a loose peony form.
i, too, really like the color and simplicity of the flower. the flowers have only about 6-8 petals. the very long buds look like rose buds when closed tightly and resemble tulips as they open.
perhaps it is a common look for open-pollinated red camellias?
Photobucket

o

I believe many seeds were collected in the 1980s from those "remote Korean islands" and grown out. Some got named like 'Korean Fire'; the ones at the National Arboretum might just be unnamed ones leftover from that collecting trip. I think it was Barry Yinger who organized those collections in cooperation with the National Arboretum...he was director of the Asian collection there IIRC.

o

It looks a lot like one that Bill Blankenship posted on facebook. Check it out. He just called it an original as is written up in the Macoboy book, pg 18, I think

o

I'm sorry. The narrow-leaved one I was thinking about was 'Kuro Delight'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here