Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy93_gw

camellias and shade - help

sandy93
15 years ago

I planted a number of camellias for the first time this year and they required afternoon shade. Now all the leaves have fallen off my trees and now they all get almost all day sun. Is this OK because the the tempature is cooler or do I need to put up some screen until they are established.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (2)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was once concerned here (D/FW) but nothing happened. The ones you have may tolerate the extra but weaker winter sun. You just need to keep an eye on the leaves for the next few weeks.

I have some Crape Myrtles and other deciduous trees that protect my camellias during the Summer and the camellias have never been damaged by the increased sun during winter. At most, the leaves have temporarily turned a mix of dark green with bronze. This lasts just a few weeks and then the leaves return back to normal dark green.

Too much sun should cause the leaves to bronze out and, eventually, to turn brown. The same thing happens if you do not maintain the soil moist during winter. So, if you notice browning and the soil is moist then consider transplanting into another location.

Note: spider mites can also cause bronzing of the leaves but you should be able to notice the spider mites when inspecting the leaves.

Note: Years ago, I turned off the sprinkler system when we had a spell of cold temperatures and my Shishigashira started to brown its leaves due to lack of water. Thus, keep an eye on the rain and water when winter is dry. Otherwise, set the sprinkler to water once a week or so (provided temps are above freezing when the unit goes off).

• sandy808
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

sandy93, Luis gives EXCELLENT information about camellias, and has been a wonderful help to me. Everything he says above is true.

I do want to point out some information I read in The Camellia Journal (March through May 2007 issue) that was written by Clifford Parks. I don't know why I hadn't read it before, but I was going through some of my old issues and this one caught my eye. He states that numerous observations he has made over the past 40 years has made him question the whole shade issue. He has found that once a camellia adjusts to increased sunshine, they have done well, as long as they are growing in a humid climate. He said the situation is different in hot, dry climates. He has also found that the new leaves, as the plant adjusts, are normal. Dr. Ackerman seems to concur.

My own experience has also been the same. Once my plants have adjusted from nursery conditions, they have been fine. The exception to this is that they do not like being planted near a house foundation in the sun, where they receive additional light and heat reflected from the house. The north side of the house is fine, even if the camellia receives full sun part of the year there, with shade the rest of the year. I also have japonicas on the east side of my pool screenhouse, where they receive quite a bit of sun. However, the sun is filtered by the screen and blocked by my house as the sun swings through the sky in the afternoon (putting them in shade). Any other foundation planting has not worked for me where there is no relief from the sun, and reflection from my white house. That is, the west and south sides. I also have found that potted camellias cannot tolerate too much full sun. Once planted, they are fine, so there is some stress that must be associated with them being in a pot, even when watered well.

Jerry Conrad (Erinon Camellia Nursery), has told me that camellias will require more water, and more food, to help offset the extra stress they may experience in an increased sun situation. The camellias I have in more sunlight flower heavier than those that are in more shaded conditions.

I also have some camellias that seem exceptionally happy with being planted under my palm trees. They still receive quite a bit of sun, but the palms offer a moderating effect with temps, as well as filtering some of the strongest sun.

I'd say keep a close watch on your camellias, and observe how the new leaves look. If they look healthy, most likely your camellias will adjust to your growing conditions. If they show no sign of healthy growth, and continue to decline, determine if there is a fungal or insect problem before deciding to transplant. Sometimes it is necessary to move a plant, but I would use that as a last resort. Your local camellia society most likely has an experienced person to help identify insect or disease issues. Your camellias may also need a little extra water, so check your soil. I usually make sure I run my irrigation early in the evening when we have a freeze warning, BEFORE it goes down below freezing.

Hope I've helped a little.

Sandy

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions