Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

What kind of camellia?

haxuan
15 years ago

Would you camellia pros help me ID this plant of mine, please. Thank you.

{{gwi:518020}}

Xuan (from Vietnam)

Comments (4)

• longriver
    15 years ago

I can only guess a general direction. It seems a C. japonica plant. The origin is not likely from Japan. Most Japanese flowers are single form. It is not likely a popular plant from U. S.

It is purely of my personal opinion that it is "likely" an origin from China. Chinese have about 400 named old cultivars and most of them are in deep pink and red. They totally ignore single form camellias. I do have two picture books of Chinese camellias but it is not a good way to match. Most of their camellia flowers are about medium in size.

Sorry I am not able to know exactly which one. However I have a picture showing the display of their camellia show. The flowers are most peony and formal double.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:518017}}

• okintos
    15 years ago

It is a very difficult topic, the identification of camellias. Much more difficult from photographies. On the market, it is nowadays, approximately three thousand known varieties. But there are more than thirty thousand registered varieties. It is calculated that in the whole world, there are more than hundred thousand varieties, which do not have a recognized name. We have come to this one conclusion, after extrapolating the hundreds that we know in Galicia and they do not have name. We know without name, of all the forms, simple, semidoubles, anemone, informal double and formal double. The nutaciones of size, form and color that have the Camellia japonica, it is surprising and exceptional in the Nature.
    Regards.
    Daniel Dominguez F. OKintos
    {{gwi:514404}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellias in 'Pazo de Ribadulla'

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much for your time. I haven't known that there are so many varieties of camellias :-(. I guess mine plant might have Chinese origin.

I really like the one in your photo, okintos. It looks so neat whereas mine looks so disorderly!

Xuan

• longriver
    15 years ago

haxuan, I am a nut about camellia flower. Every camellia flower has the beauty of one's own. Even a single plain camellia has its charm. Yours is very pretty in a camellia flower form between peony and anemone with clean rose pink color.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax
More Discussions