Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Something wrong with my camellia.

Donna
16 years ago

I have a beautiful "White by the Garden Gate" that is about four years old. The leaves on it have a "dusty" look and there are tiny white spots? bugs? something? on the undersides of them. It is covered with buds and the first blooms opened this week: sheer perfection. But still...those leaves bother me. Any thoughts?

Comments (4)

• sandy808
    16 years ago

I know that scale insects set up camp once in awhile on the underside of camellia leaves. You may need to spray with something. I'm not sure if horticultural oil or insecticidal soap would do the trick or not, but if you are cool enough temperature wise outside, you may be able to use something like neem oil safely. It should smother any insects. I had a few leaves on mine that had some, but there were so few that I just picked the leaves off and disposed of them. I try to avoid spraying if I can.

Scale may or may not be what is affecting your leaves. If you have a camellia grower near you perhaps you can take a leaf and get a hands on diagnosis, or possibly check with your cooperative extension.

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

I agree with Sandy. Your plant suffered from a scale infestation earlier in the season and what you are looking at is the damage. The link below shows some pictures of scale damage to camellias (as well as other plants). It ususally affects the underside of leaves but can affect stems when the infestation is heavy.

Dormant oil emulsion should be sprayed when temperatures are between 40 and 85 degress F. Spray the top and bottom sides of leaves. Repeat again in Spring once the chance of freezing temps has passed.

Some suggestions: apply a refined horticultural oil like Bonide All Season Spray Oil, Ferti-lome Scalecide, Green Light Horticultural Oil Spray, or Ortho Volck Oil Spray in the spring. Spray two applications, 10 days apart. Again, spray when temperature are between 40 and 85 degrees and there is no danger of freezing temperatures.

Insecticides labeled for homeowner use against scale crawlers include acephate (Ortho Japanese Beetle Killer), malathion (Ferti-lome Mal-A-Cide, or Hi-Yield Malathion Insect Spray), cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer), carbaryl (Sevin 50WP or Ferti-lome Carbaryl Spray) and dimethoate (Cygon or De-Fend). As with all pesticides, read and follow all label instructions and precautions. You will probably need to reapply these after a few weeks too.

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Scale Damage Info by the University of Florida

• Donna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Judging by these pictures, you guys nailed it. Thank You! It's off to the garden center for me!

• sandy808
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link Luis. It was very helpful, and much appreciated.

Sandy

Sponsored
More Discussions