Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mora_gw

Trouble!

mora
18 years ago

Hi , there seems to be a lot of trouble with GW,people can't log-in, offensive ads, may be the beginning of the end of a really good site? A number of us have become friends and I don't wish to lose touch so I'm going out on a limb here, you can get in touch with me at marthakeddy@ auracom.com , M

Comments (10)

• Crafty Gardener
    18 years ago

GW is slow to load, has lots of advertising. I've had trouble logging in ... finally sent an email to support, didn't get a reply, but I am now able to log in.

I have my own Canadian Gardening group at MSN and would welcome any of the members from here to come and join us.

• Crafty Gardener
    18 years ago

Sorry forgot to add this ... click on my user name ... click the link to my personal homepage ... scroll to the bottom and find the link to my Canadian Gardening group.

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Why would this be the beginning of the end?? I use Mozilla Firefox and I dont get even a small portion of the adds. I have never been a member of a forum until I found this site so Im not sure how this could be the end .. can someone explain this to me. I sure hope that this isnt the case.

Laura

• Crafty Gardener
    18 years ago

Thanks Laura, I'll give Firefox a go. I forgot that I have it on my computer. I still had trouble signing in this morning, even though I checked the remember me box.

• mora
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Laura I didn't mean to be such an alarmist! I participate in several sites on GW and those have come to a snails pace because of difficulty logging on and refusal to recognise some users names leading those folks to have to re-register at which time they are being asked for far too personal info! Some have found this info displayed on their journal sites and have stopped participating as a result! Many have been here for years but are dropping out! I don't get the ads either but have seen them in other posts, one for a shoe company shows far too much of a young lady's butt! I shouldn't have posted my e-mail addy but since this forum gets little traffic I have taken the risk! There are already alternative sites being set up but I hope I Village will fix this one soon and we can all get back to normal,LOL whatever that is! M

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Thanks Mora .. I went to the Suggestions and Comments forum .. wow is that getting to be a nasty little corner of the universe. I dont blame people for being upset with iVillage they are really messing up this site. I hope they get things worked out cuz I would really miss everyone here, it's really the only place I go to on the net :o( Let me know when the other sites are set up. I know Willy has a seed exchange on MSN and Jroot has a Canadian Gardening site on MSN as well.

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

Leave the dark side (IE) - come to Firefox :-)

You don't have to uinistall IE (You can't anyway), just install Firefox and use it instead of IE.

I really haven't been having any problems myself. But I haven't ever seriously used Internet Explorer. I use Firefox with the "Adblock" and "Adblock FiltersetG. Updater" extensions. With those extensions, I don't get those crappy animated JAVA popups, and I find that Firefox is way faster than IE. It takes up fewer system resources on your computer, so if you have an older 'puter, everything speeds up.

I haven't had any login problems myself. I was too busy over the last few weeks to do any posting, so I seem to have missed that hiccup.

GW is changing, but I don't feel that it's all for the worse. It is/was a fairly primitive web forum, and I think it could use some updating. Some people don't like any kind of change, so that crowd is complaining about every little thing. That's fine - everyone has a preference. Right now it seems that they're updating a lot of stuff, so there are bound to be a few glitches. I'm happy to let them debug the problems as they find them - the owners of the site want it to be easy to use, so they will correct things that appear to be a real problem, and not just a change that some people don't like.

The only thing that is bugging me is the venom I see from some people on the S&C forum. Rather than a comment that they are having a problem and could someone please address it, they're going rabid and posting all kinds of crap. If the mail directed at the admins is anything like what I see on that forum, then it's no wonder they don't have the time or will to respond. Much of what they're complaining about could easily be fixed by learning how to use their computers. A better browser, resetting cookies, and fine tuning their settings... I realize that dial-up is the only option some people have or can afford, but they do have to accept that it is dying. The web is evolving into a high-speed beast and some people will not be able to access all of it or afford to access all of it. Just like Cable TV. Not everyone has all the shows they want available, or can afford to get all the channels thay want. Sometimes you have to fork out the big bucks for sattelite access if you live somewhere where that's necessary. That's really a pain if you want to keep up, but that's the way it's changing.

GW has been a great site for many years - but it was never the perfect thing that some people make it out to have been. Spike was sometimes arbitrary in his banning, and it had technical glitches when he changed things. It's one of the last holdouts of an earlier way of doing things, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't change. There will be a few bumps as it resettles into it's new shape, and I'm willing to wait them out.

BP

• peatpod
    18 years ago

I agree with you Bonnie .. so far Firefox hasnt let me down .. I havent had nearly as many issues as others. I think the only glitches that have affected me is that I have to log in each time and finding everyones trade lists. With all of the nasty rants I read over on the S & C forum yesterday I was ready to run with my tail between my legs.

Things seem to be working out .. its just taking some time. I would hate to lose GW .. its been great.

I still use dial up and really it doesnt seem to hold me back .. I know I will need to fork out some cash to keep in the loop of the high tech beast .. eventually .. but until then .. dial up will do for me. With Firefox .. I seem to zoom around the net with minimal issues anyways.

Laura

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    18 years ago

HELLO!!!!!

I finally got in just now after trying since last Friday!! And it was just a fluke.

I tried so many things it's unbelievable, but it was all in my user name, and even though I tried to log-in writing it umteenth different ways, it never worked. Neither did trying to create a new ID.

But tonight I got the user name right on the mark!

So happy to be here again!

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Things appear to be getting back to normal around here. Its so nice to see everyone back. I know GW lost alot of really good members due to the changes but with any luck everyone will be back.

Laura