Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydseeds

If you could move anywhere in Canada where would you move to?

sydseeds
18 years ago

If I could move my family, DH's job and favourite plants, I'd be found somewhere on the east coast of Canada. I sometimes go into the MLS listings and find old properties for sale there and simply dream.

Where would be your favourite spot to put down roots and a garden if you had the choice to pick up and move without money being an issue.

Comments (16)

• mora
    18 years ago

Good question! I've had my eye on NFLD for quite some time, but that idea is influenced in a big way by property values. If money isn't an issue then I might consider Victoria, but then again I already live in one of the most beautiful towns in the world so as long as I can afford it I'll stay put LOL M

• garden_chicken
    18 years ago

That's easy. Either Atlin, B.C. or ANYWHERE on the west coast of Vancouver Island, oh, or anywhere on Cape Breton Island would be good too... ummm... Kathleen Lake, Yukon... Ok, that's not so easy! LOL

What a great country we live in that could lure a person to so many different places! (I do the MLS thing too when I feel like an escape.)

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

I love MLS shopping :-) Every now and then DH and I play millionare and see what we could get - you can buy a lot of dumps for a million bucks!!

Since DH works at home for an American company, we're not tied to any one place in Canada - we could move anywhere we wanted. We've chosen to settle here in Montreal for now. It's cheap, has pretty good public transit, fantastic food, and there's something about the soul of this city that I like.

I'm starting to get itchy feet though...

I really miss the ocean. The way the air smells, the fog, and just the whole sound of it. My brother bought a house on Paddy's Head (near Peggy's Cove) and that makes me feel so lonesome for home! I think I'd like to have a summer home on the Mira river in Cape Breton. My grandparent's house is sliding into ruin now that they've been dead several years - if I won the lottery I'd buy the land from my relatives and rebuild it. My mum has some of the land there, and I might keep it, but it's pretty swampy!

My winter home would be in on Vancouver Island though - it has the mildest winter and I really hate being cold! Although I might rather have that winter home in Costa Rica...

BP

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    18 years ago

I think we unknowingly did that in 2001, but every now and then begin to realize it is in essence what we did. I sometimes have to pinch myself.

Living on the Prospect peninsula, we are but a house away from the waters of Shad Bay. It's a dead end road, so there's not much traffic. A big change from living on one of the main arteries of the streets of Halifax where 18 wheelers would go by every minute and rattle the dishes in your kitchen cabinets and sirens from police and ambulances woke you in the middle of the night.

Our home is a simple one - a log home with vaulted ceilings throughout. Just a bungalow. My favourite area is the covered veranda on the front where in the summer I will take a quiet cup of coffee in the evenings. If a rain shower goes by, I can always be guaranteed a rainbow in the eastern sky.

In the winter, the woodlands surrounding the house are so beautiful after a snowfall. This is also the time of year when you can really hear the waves of the Atlantic crashing on the rocks at the tip of the peninsula after a storm surge. Another reason to sit quietly with a cup of coffee in hand... And on a peaceful day, the sound becomes that of the lobster fishermen from the village of Prospect tending to their traps in the bay - a familiar and welcome sound for a girl who grew up elsewhere in Nova Scotia where all bread came from the fishers' boats.

The people here are kind and rescourceful. Always helping and never asking for anything in return. Right now, all my gardening tools are at my neighbour's being sharpened and oiled. In the summer, I do help him garden and give him plants that he likes and are easy for him to care for. He used to garden avidly before he became a quadraplegic.
    Another neighbour will come by with a cartload of seaweed for the compost every now and then. He knows I like the stuff.
    Another does all our plumbing.
    Yet another plows our driveway after a snowstorm.
    And they ask for nothing in return. But we have learned that if there's anything we can do for them, we just do it.

It's a nice place with nice people. We're happy here.

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

I keep looking at Sidney, which is close to Victoria, BC as a place to retire to.

It has become very pricey lately and I may have to rethink.

I have a granddaughter in Victoria, which is one of my considerations.

The damp by the ocean does sometimes seem colder than the dry cold in the interior.

Ian

• sorellina
    18 years ago

BC has it all for me. I miss the mountains and the ocean. I haven't gotten used to Toronto's grid and lack of geographical landmarks (apart from the CN Tower).

I could be happy just about anywhere in BC. If I was on the island, I'd be blessed with the best gardeners in North America to answer all of my newbie questions. If I was in the interior, I'd figure out how to make a living from growing grapes. If I was in the mountains, I'd make my peace with hostas and catalogue ferns.

Bring on the rain ;o)

• msjean
    18 years ago

I'm with Tiffy.
    I love living in Nova Scotia and everything about the province. The climate is very similar to Vancouver..except we have a lot of sunshine...and Vancouver has a lot of rain (did I hear 30 straight days?)
    I also love the changing of the seasons here. Each season has a beauty that belongs to it alone...and there is no where in NS that is more than 33 miles from the ocean..so the smell of the salt water is everywhere....and that is so nice !!

• oldflowergirl
    18 years ago

If I could afford to live there, my first choice would be Victoria, BC or thereabouts. Was there in April of last year and was blown away with the trees and plants that you can grow with their Zone 8 climate. Love the ocean too. Might miss the Interior mountains, but not the snow.

Donna Ã

• onewheeler
    18 years ago

I would stay right where I am here in Nova Scotia. I have the ocean right in front of me, the woods behind me and only one neighbor that can see my house without binoculars. I love that I can go for long walks in the woods and not be afraid of anything more than a big black bear. I love that I can jump in the car with the neighbor kids or grandsons and be at the beach swimming at a nice sandy beach within 15 minutes. I can walk down my lane and go to the beach to collect rocks or shells.

When summer vacation time comes I always want to drive around Nova Scotia, sometimes up to Sussex, New Brunswick to go to Corn Hill Nursery, but for the most part I want to stay here. I love the trips to the Annapolis Valley and south shore, so much to see/sea.

I have driven across this grand country twice by car, a long, long journey both times. Been right to Jasper in Alberta and out to Grand Cashe, beautiful area, but no ocean, gotta be near the water, it is the pisces in me I think.. Never been to the Rock, Newfoundland, but have intentions of going there someday. Flew out to Calgary last summer and was enchanted with the city, I hate cities for the most part but this place really caught my eye. My son lives there so I can see going out there again, it was a beautiful trip.

If I had to change anything it would be the weather right now, bitter cold, I don't care for that. Otherwise home is where I hang my hat, I hope to be hanging my hat here for many, many more years. Just a humble little bungalow but it is my piece of heaven and my sancturary.

Valerie

• mandyy12
    18 years ago

If money did not enter into the equation. There would be a toss up between Victoria, BC & Nova Scotia.

Any place tha allows me a lot of time & climate for gardening would do just fine.

Bill

• msjean
    18 years ago

Bill..there's a nice house for sale on my street :)
    We could swap roses and your grandsons can play with Star and Oliver .
    COME ON DOWN !!!! :))

• Eliza_ann_ca
    17 years ago

I was born in Newfoundland,but have lived in Ontario for over 40 years.
    We retire in less than 3 years,and plan to move back to our native province,partly because of the realestate prices,and also because we have quite a bit of family there.
    I'm finding that to retire in Ontario and live comfortably requires more of an annual income than we will have.
    I also miss the ocean,and the laid-back ways of the people who live there.We also have had a cottage on Exploits island off the east coast of NFLD for the past thirty years,so it makes sense to want to be there.I'm getting a little tired of city life,especially since the city isn't the same as it was when we moved here.Too much crime,not as clean as it used to be,and the polution is unbearable.
    Yes!For the golden years of my life,I want clean air,ocean breezes and friendly people.Ontario has been good to us,but it's time to pull up stakes and go back to our roots!

• merricat
    17 years ago

Hmmm....I can garden anywhere. I can write anywhere. I like rainy weather and snowy weather, and I LOVE the sea (either coast). So, after much consideration, the choice is really quite simple: whatever spot that is geographically farthest from my parents, who live in Edmonton.

And I don't care if it's Baffin Island (aren't there cute puffins there anyway?)

• brenda07
    16 years ago

Hey out there!!!What would be wrong with Saskatchewan?

• cordel
    16 years ago

Hmm, if I could afford to live anywhere, I would probably stay in North-Eastern Ontario, but i would travel to less extreme climes for November, January, March, and probably late August, early September. I love our lake, our home-built, vertical-log house, our seven acres, our huge flower beds. But I would dearly love to get out of here during the ugly months. I love February here, since i think it is one of the few locations to get sunshine at least 80% of the month.

• gemini_mum
    15 years ago

Didn't just think about it or mls dream it.... I did it!!!! Moved from Lower Mainland Vancouver to...... sit down for this one.... Grand - Barachois NB... from a town pop. of over 120, 000 to a wonderful 5000 give er take :) This is the best kept secret... the maritimes is a slice of peace and tranquility ... actually have time to garden!! Just have to re-adjust to the extreme change in zones... add in salt air and high mph winds and we have a whole new world to explore in gardening! :))

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting