Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

Hey merricat - question for you

bonniepunch
17 years ago

Is it ok if I email you a question/problem I have that your DH might be able to answer? It's about flourescent light fixtures.

BP

Comments (2)

• merricat
    17 years ago

Hi, Bonnie;

It is ALWAYS ok to mail me about ANYTHING. Who knows: I may even surprise both of us and actually have an answer for you. ;-)

DH is handy that way. The growstand worked great. I wouldn't have dared go near it with all the wiring and different outlets *if* he hadn't been the one to put it together. I always expect electrical things to explode when I get close. Just for spite.

Yes, he may be a mass-tomato-murderer, but having an electrician DH comes in handy sometimes.

Cheerio, my deario!

Toujours gai,
    Merri

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now I went and lost the information I wanted to ask your DH about! It figures - I can never find things when I need them!!

I can recall most of it though. It had to do with fluorescent light fixtures and safety. Here's the text I got off of the Sylvania web site:

-----
    *Cool White Energy Saver Fluorescent*
    This bulb offers the same quality of light provided by our regular Cool White Fluorescent, but comes in a 4-foot length. Since it operates at 34 watts (compared to the 40 watts of the Designer and Deluxe types), it saves up to 15% of the energy while still providing reasonable light output. A good general-purpose bulb. (Not recommended as a direct replacement for 40-watt fluorescents in most residential shoplight fixtures since it could cause the fixture to overheat. Use only in fixtures specifically labeled for use with 4-foot, 34 watt bulbs. If unsure, please check with your electrician.)
    -----

The bulbs have no warning on them to indicate this limitation, nor did any of the hardware store employees know anything about it.

I wrote them asking 'What the heck are you talking about? Why aren't these bulbs marked as needing a 34 watt fixture? Is there a fire hazard? I have never seen a 34 watt fixture. Blah, blah blah...'

They got back to me with an explanation that seemed a bit odd. They said something to the effect that this warning was only for the US market, not Canada, because the fixtures made in (or for) the US are made to a lower standard than the Canadian ones, and that our fixtures were fine. I can't remember the exact wording of the reply, but that seemed to me to be a bunch of hooey! Am I right in being wary of their reply, or are they telling the truth? Do we have more stringent manufacturing requirements here in Canada when it comes to light fixtures? I thought that an electritian would know more about this kind of thing that me, so I thought to run it by your DH. Let me know what he thinks :-)

BP

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company