Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

week of worry about my kitty

bonniepunch
17 years ago

Last week I woke up to find my kitty (Ham) blind in one eye and the second eye becomming affected with the same problem. He has kidney failure, and one common complication of kidney failure is high blood pressure. One thing high blood pressure can do is cause detached retinas, bleeding, and other problems. His blood pressure had been fine before, but this sudden blindness was a very bad sign. His vet took him in right away, and his pressure was 250 (normal is 150)!! So into the kitty hospital he went for a day, for some fast acting drugs and observation, and then he came home to wait and see what happened.

Today I took him in to the vet and his pressure was back to 150 - that was such a relief! So he responds well to his new blood pressure medication, and he has to wait and see what will happen with his eye - he'll probably be permanently blind in that eye, but there is a chance it may heal and he'll be ok. I'll know that in a month or so.

This is one tough kitty! He is now on 6 different prescriptions and a special food, and he's happy as a clam - except for when he crashes and has to get hauled in to stay at the vet. So far that's only happened twice, and he's bounced back so well that it's hard to tell he's terminally ill. If I keep my fingers crossed maybe he'll get another summer outside in his favourite chair!

BP

Comments (4)

• mora
    17 years ago

Keeping my fingers crossed for Kitty,he's lucky to have such good care, M

• peatpod
    17 years ago

Bonnie Ham is so lucky to have such a wonderful momma and papa. I know that you will do everything in your power to keep him comfortable and happy. I only wish all the kitties in the world had such wonderful parents :o)

Have you asked your vet if any of Ham's med could be added to his sub q fluids?? We did that with Tara for some of her antibiotics .. its not normally the way to go but it was so much easier that having to pop pills down her throat :o)

I can picture Ham now .. you standing over him fanning him with a large canna leaf while he relaxes in his favorite chair and DH giving him his favorite munchie :o) I truly believe he will be with you for a another lazy hazy summer .. if not more :o)

Take care
    Laura

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

None of his meds can be added to his fluids unfortunately, but it isn't a problem. Ham is really a big help himself - he's such a great patient! He prefers his special food over his old food, and he never tries to get into the other cat's food. When it's pill time, I just say 'pill' and open his mouth and pop it in - he doesn't fight it at all. And you'd think a cat would mind being stabbed with a big needle every day, but he starts to pur when he sees his fluid come out - he knows it's serious petting time. He didn't like his new eye drops at first, but now he holds still for me.

Even at the vet he's a good cat - he doesn't hiss, growl or bite. He doesn't like them holding his arm still for blood draws and blood pressure tests, so he tries to pull it away, but that's the only 'bad kitty' thing he does. The vet clinic people have said many times that they wish all their patients were so well behaved.

He's such a good natured guy it's hard not to love him to death. I can't afford to do everything I should have done for him - the vet wants me to take him to an opthamologist, and recommended an ultrasound for his kidneys - but those are things that mostly give more information about what's going on, they won't change anything or cure him. I've had people tell me I'm foolish to spend so much on a cat ('get a new one'), but I guess we have different priorities. I'd rather get my cat medical attention than buy new plants or eat out anyday.

Laura, you aren't far wrong in your vision :-) He sits in a chair under ostrich ferns and I have a sun shield rigged up to keep him in the shade - it has to be adjusted a few times during the afternoon to keep him happy (he doesn't like being in the sun for long)!

BP
    /kitty slave
    //and loving it

• peatpod
    17 years ago

Bonnie ... you already know that you and I share the same type of bond with our fur babies :o) I have been finding it so hard to understand how from month to month the levels change for both my little dog Tara and Taz. Taz is looking great but I still have him on the fortacore and his levels continue to be "normal". The vets are amazed at Tara's levels .. she went from 338 on her creatin .. down to "normal" I really dont get it. But now that Tara's levels are at normal Bill isnt so nervous and has let her fluids slide. I keep telling him that they need to be done and he keeps saying that I need to remind him. Well, its horrible to say but I have more responsibility caring for the 6+ foster babies .. seven cats, our other dog and the fish. Not to mention the foster kids and the house, garden etc. I refuse to do her fluids after 7 as she has had some difficulty holding it and has piddled on the carpet more times than I would like to recall .. sometimes right in front of me. She also lost control in bed one evening when we did her fluids too late at night ..not fun. I keep telling Bill that the subq is like giving a small child a huge glass of water just before bed :o) I think I will have to go back to having my friends help me out with her fluids other wise she may crash again .. and I dont want to have to go through that because of inconsistancy :o( BUT Bill also has to take some ownership for this whole issue also.

Taz has really been enjoying the weather all year. He much prefers to use my garden than the litter box .. and thats fine with me .. I just water that area really really well on a daily basis. I think I might set up a litter box full of soil outside for him to use and see if that might get him to change locations :o)

Taz also has his favorite spots in the garden .. under the cedar trees where he can watch the birds and other critters while in hidding. He tries so hard to be a hunter :o) And with his wobbly pop legs he isnt very successful but he is such a joy to watch.

My first set of babies have left home and all have found new families. Two went to the same home so Im sure they are doing well. I went to the shelter today with full intentions on returning with my baby Sweedles .. just a little momma day gift for myself .. but when I got there a couple came in and fell in love with her. When I saw her try to suckle her neck I knew she would be fine with them. I was at least able to say good bye. Now I have two stinky little guys that I have had for about 4 weeks and 4 new ferral kittens .. they are about 6 weeks and really only need to be socialized :o) They are so terrified right now so there are lots and lots of snuggles going around.

Anywho .. Im rambling ... take care of the Ham and give him a big snuggle from me.

Laura

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH