Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merricat_gw

Proverbs: How many can you find?

merricat
17 years ago

Found this on a truly SPIFFY website. All but the first are very common English-language proverbs.....but told in polysyllabic (not to mention sesquipedalian!) verse. English isn't my first language (it's my fourth), but I've managed to suss out all but one. How many can you "translate"? (Bonus points: can you tell which one I CAN'T understand?)

Here's a nursery rhyme to start out. The rest are proverbs.

Have fun *EG*

Scintillate, scintillate, globule lucific,

Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.

Loftily poised in aether capacious,

Strongly resembling a gem carbonaceous.

(Try singing THAT one every night...)

PROVERBS

The early worm goes forth with zeal To give the hungry bird a meal. His brother has no such intention, And lives to draw his old age pension. Desiccated herbage must submit to perturbation While the radiant orb of day affords illumination Inhabitants of domiciles of vitreous formation with lapidary projectiles should make no rash jactation. A single member of the avian race That the prehensile digits fast embrace The mercantile equivalent achieves Of two at large amid arboreal leaves. Who sums the yet unfractured shells of bipeds gallinaceous Is apt to find his calculations woefully fallacious. Where fluvial aggregations lie Uncorrugated to the eye Their currents, one infers, may be Impressive in profundity. A futile superfluity of culinary aid Will mar the gastronomic juice of osseous tissue made. Teach not your parent's mother to extract The embryo juices of an egg by suction: That good old lady can the feat enact Quite irrespective of your kind instruction! Thinking thine equine friend in noontide heat Draughts from the cool and rippling rill desires, Stand not amazed, if the ungrateful beast Merely to see his mirrored face aspires. Miscalculations multitudinous Co\-operate with utter malice Twixt labial orifice and chalice To shatter all the hopes imbued in us. Environment is to congruous be In greater or even less degree, But none so gratifies as that Which constitutes one's habitat. The ferrous form is more than warm And ruddy glowings light it: Don't wait until it starts to chill, But smite it! Bear not to glutted cellars near the Tyne The carbonaceous products of the mine. Your immediate environment submit to circumspection, Ere you alter your locality by muscular projection. It is permitted to the feline race To contemplate at ease a royal face. Observe yon ovine innocent When stripped of his integument! For him kind Providence ne'er fails To moderate hiemal gales. While self\-inspection it neglects, Nor its own foul condition sees, The pot unto the pan objects Its sooty superficies.

Comments (3)