Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickilynn_2008

Harry Lauder Walking Stick

vickilynn_2008
15 years ago

I planted a Harry Walking Stick in the summer of 2007. It did well over the summer. This spring there were several new leaves sprouting around the base of the shrub. Last week I noticed the leaves have turned brown and are falling off. There is no sign of any other new growth. It's planted in an area with morning shade and afternoon/evening sun. It's well watered but I think it may be dying. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks

Comments (7)

• ianna
    15 years ago

Hello vicky, I had the same thing happened to my Harry Lauder. Similar conditions as yours. It's planted in the wrong spot, I'm afraid. It's fine but the sun is too strong for it's leaves. YOu will have to move it to a shadier location. In my case I moved it to a northwest location and it's thriving very well now.

By the way, next time post in the gardening forum. This one is reserved for discussions other than gardening.

• theresa54
    15 years ago

Hello, I am a Horticulturist & have lived many places from Ancaster, Ontario to Muskoka, Ontario. In both those places they had DWS. The first year for any plant is to water, water, water. Leaves fell off for my DWS up in Muskoka, this I believe is natural, as long as all of them don't fall off. The idea with this plant is I believe to leave a canopy of leaves at the top, in Ancaster, this old speciman was like that. In Muskoka, I only lost my leaves to a stink bug, the leaves still fell off, but again, the canopy effect lets you see the bark & thorns. In the heat of the summer, any plant other than a xeriscape plant/desert plant needs extra attention, watering. DWS needs full sun to 1/2 sun. Otherwise its aok. I think. ALso pull the suckers, can they can go everywhere. Have fun & wear gloves. :)

• ianna
    15 years ago

Theresa,

I'm rather behind in this discussion. My Harry Lawder had actually developed a nice canopy in early summer, however at the height of summer, the leaves began to curl and dry off. It was facing a southeast location. So lots of sun. As for watering, I also watered well and regularly. This did not explain the phenomenon I'd observed of curling leaves. The leaves were looking healthy for most parts except for the very edges. Leaves directly exposed to teh sun showed the most damage. I noted the leaves that weren't so exposed to teh sun remained uncurled which is why I drew the conclusion that this plant wasn't set in the right location. Also in walks in old neighborhoods downtown, I've observed healthy Harry Lawders growing beneath the canopy of healthy tall trees such as sugar maples. Since transplanting my plant to a shadier location, the plant has thrived. By the way, this Harry Walker started off with purple leaves which gradually turned green. It is possible that we are describing 2 different varietiew which could explain why your observation differs from my experience.

• grma4jo
    14 years ago

I have a Harry Lauder Walking Stick that seems to continue to grow, doesn't lose leaves and grows new lighter green leaves. Afternoon sun. However, the leaves curl under and they look like quite wrinkly. I have seen a few white flying "flies" on he underside of the leaves. Does anyone know what I might do to make the plant healthier. It is in it's 3rd season.

• KINGARTHUR1
    12 years ago

Season started off well than about two weeks ago all the leaves turned brown why is this happening. It is about 3 years old

• tamatik
    11 years ago

looking for harry lauders walking stick in ontario.. west of sudbury.. prefer the plant but will buy seeds if thats all thats available.. also.. plant will need to be shipped as i am not very mobile to drive far

ty

• Deb Neumann
    9 months ago

Hi. Does anyone know if a Harry lauder walking stick will grow well in central florida?