Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merricat_gw

vittoria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

merricat
17 years ago

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

************CAMPIONI!!!! FIFA 2006 CAMPIONI!!!!!*****

*******************VIVA ITALIA! **********************

************CAMPIONI!!! FIFA 2006 CAMPIONI!!!!!*****

A victory dedicated to the memory of Gaetano Scirea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scirea remembered as Italy seek repeat

Comments (4)

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

You would not believe the number of unhappy people in my area! This is of course, a big French support base, and soccer is pretty big in this city, and the big gathering areas for the French fans are right around the corner. You could hear what was going on as they were doing the penalty kicks. They have to close several main streets down for the celebrating Italian fans in 'Little Italy' (not my neighbourhood) and the celebrating 'anyway' French fans.

And we're going out to dinner in an hour - should be a madhouse out there.

BP

• merricat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just the opposite here, Bonnie. We have a pretty large French population (in Edmonton, the closest city), but also a large AND LOUD and VERY VERY HAPPY Italian pop.

I got a call from a friend who tells me the streets to all of "little italy" have been barricaded off, just like in 1982, and there are BBQs set up, grilling sausages and handing them, wrapped in good Italian bread, to anyone who passes by. Along with the requisite double-kiss and big hug, of course.

The cops said something in '82 when we pulled out the tables and put on music and food - something about "you can't block traffic" - but they gave up pretty quick and just helped re-route traffic. Take it from me: a thousand people, all laughing and singing and dancing, and a bunch of big men handing you good food and hearty hugs.....well, how can a cop get mad? Besides, we WERE stopping motorists. Intentionally. How could we hand them food and shout a loud, joyful "TRE A UNO!!" if they were moving?! I'm betting this year they just sort of shrugged and figured "eh, it's a happy day, call it a (several) block party."

Oh, how we needed this!

I'm an immigrant, and I support my native Italia in every World Cup. This year was especially important: we have political woes at home that are making everyday life a misery. And this year we had sworn to dedicate the championship to Scirea and honour his memory.

Italy wanted this, yes. More, Italy NEEDED this. I don't think anyone who wasn't born and raised in Italy can undersand how much national pride we invest in our soccer (called "calcio" - CAL-cho - which also means "kick"). It's not just that we have some great players; we immerse ourselves in it, we support them no matter what. And they've done us proud.

But I ask you: WHY did Zidane end his career like that?! That was a vicious, painful attack, and (for once) I can't blame the ref for red-carding him. It was painful to watch the French team getting their medals and taking them right off. I would have felt the same way: if our captain can't come out and get his, what joy is there in it for us? Ah, well. Italy plays France next week in the European Cup. We'll see what happens.

Ah, Azzurri... BRAVISSIMO, RAGAZZI!

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

That was definatly a wierd thing for Zidane - there was no reason for it! His teammates must be royally pissed at him since they might very well have won if he was still in the game.

It was definitely a madhouse outside. I can't imagine what it must have been like up in 'Little Italy'. They must have closed off everything. The cops know better now than to try to keep people out of the streets - they close them down when the game starts.

DH watched the Brazil-France game last weekend while he was in Brazil. He said that was something to see - basically the whole city of Sao Paulo (some 18 million!) shut down so they could watch it. We're kind of used to the soccer crazies here, and Montreal is probably the biggest soccer city in the US or Canada, but he says that was something.

I do hope they stop driving around and honking before bedtime though :-)

BP

• merricat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Do you really think ZZ's absence was a make-or-break thing? I'm not sure. He is(or was...I believe he's retiring now) an amazing player, but it's a TEAM sport and I don't think we can base the whole game on any one player.

Sadly, the head-butt is the defining moment of the 2006 World Cup. Check out any sports site and you'll find it's the Main Event. Not that I think ZZ didn't deserve the call: it was clearly deliberate and it was a cardable offense.

But let's face it: the WC is as much about theatrics as anything else.

I'm not saying a hard head-butt to the chest doesn't hurt - and probably a LOT - but Materazzi rolling around like a shot hog, wailing in agony....oh come ON now! As much as I love my country and "my" team, I would have been quite happy to see Matt. sent off with at least a yellow card. That was just plain childish. "Oh, mom, he pushed me and I fell down and HURRRRRT myself!" Marco, will you please grow UP!

This is what you get in a game that does not show instant replays to the fans. I've always seen this as a mixed blessing. Yes, we don't get the endless prattling that goes on in hockey and football, and it keeps the game "current", but there aren't enough pairs of official eyes on the field. It wasn't until Buffon directed the ref's attention to the "floored" Materazzi that anything was done. And even THEN it took several assistant refs, plus inspection of the recorded play, before he did anything.

I can't blame France for being stunned and angry at this. In their view, ZZ didn't do anything. The game was stopped, the refs conferred, and OUT he went. What the heck?!!

No, there are no excuses for either of them. Matterazzi was probably being a mouthy jerk. ZZ lost it. Matt made the best of it. Neither one gets my vote for Sportsman Of The Year. The real tragedy is the way ZZ ended up OFF the field for good, a stupid final move in a brilliant career.

And, to the man's credit, he knows how dumb it was. If I've read correctly, he WAS given the option of coming out and getting his silver medal with his teammates, but he declined. Imagine how horrible he must have felt.

(And that's another thing: this whole red-card bit. OFF FOREVER! In hockey - what little I see of it - it's "off for a while, sorry, your team has gotta play without you, but you can come back in a bit." But that's another rant.)

Given a bit of time, I think ZZ will best be remembered for his amazing skill: he quite rightly received the Player Of The Year award. But I gotta tell you.....this may well be the last WC I'll ever get involved with. Generally speaking, the game degenerates into a playground brawl far too often. The '82 win was 3 to 1 in regular play, and that was a truly honourable and magnificent game. This year's....

You can't compare the two. Bravi, Azzurri, I'm very happy for the win. Now, in the coming years, can we please grow UP?

Sigh.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County