Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What the heck? Weird advertising!!!

Posted by bonniepunch USDAz4 AgCanz5a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 25, 06 at 13:19

So, today, when I went to get the mail, there was an envelope addresses by hand to me - not a computer printed address label, but a hand wirtten address on the envelope. So far, it seems like it could be the sort of thing I get all the time. No return address - that's not that unusual, but it is a bit wierd for a hand written note. I figured the sender forgot - it happens. I open it up assuming that someone has sent me a note or some such thing, and pull out what seems to be a newspaper clipping. Across the top someone has written "Bonnie, get it. It works! J". When I unfold the paper it is a full page size advertisment for a wrinkle cream.

Now I knew right away that this isn't from someone that knows me. The postmark indicates it originated in Ontario, and the only "J" I know is here in Montreal, and if she sent it it wauld have said "J-A". She also would never do this. But the big thing is that I don't have any wrinkles!!! I am pushing 40, and am at an age where most of my friends have developed some 'character lines', but I have always looked young for my age, and I have no wrinkles unless I squint hard. So no way, no how, is this from someone that knows me!

This kind of personally targeted advertising is really common online of course, but I have never seen something like this! Do they think it looks more legit if it comes by snail mail instead of by email?

BP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What the heck? Weird advertising!!!

I remember getting the same one about a year ago......don't take it personally Bonnie - whoever sent it to you has no clue whether you have wrinkles or not.

I personally like to save up my unsolicited junk mail and the stuff I can't shred for the composter (like the stuff with heavy colours in in the print; plastic coating, peelable stickers) gets put in the next unsolicited junk mail envelope that comes with a SASE enclosed. Then I mail it back to them, giving them a little sampling to know they will probably appreciate my junk mail as much as I appreciate theirs. LOL

o

Apparently this company has been doing this newspaper clipping spamming in the US, Canada and the UK for a couple of years now. I guess I missed out on it until now. It doesn't seem like a very effective way to advertise if you ask me - either you have wrinkles and you get offended or laugh, or you don't have wrinkles and you get offended or laugh. Either way, I wouldn't buy it! Seems like a no win thing!

I used to do what you do with the junk mail, but I have been told that these companies hire another company to do the answering of these reply envelopes - they never see what's in them. If that's true, then it's not as satisfying :-(. I wish I had a fireplace - then I'd just save it for starting fires! I just shred them and put them out with the recycling now, but it peeves me that I have to use my electricity and shredder to get rid of their junk.

BP

o

I still like Sydseeds idea. They may use another company to open them but I bet it costs them per item. Canada Post took away our delivery, now everyone has to use 'superboxes'. However, these boxes are useful as we directly recycle all our junk mail back into the postal slot ;-)

Cheers,
MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

o

BonniePunch: My wrinkle-less 7 year old got this exact mail yesterday - LOL - hand addressed with actual stamp affixed; no return address or computer generated anything on the outside envelope. I got a chuckle and thought of you right away.

o

That's funny! I actually got another of those things this past week too - I guess they're on a marketing blitz :-)

BP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here