Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

more movies - the good the bad and the ugly

bonniepunch
18 years ago

So what have you seen lately? Was it any good?

We rented "Sin City" last week. Oh man, was it ever awful! I didn't even finish it! I know it's supposed to be some kind of specific genre movie, but I guess I'm not ever going to be a fan if it's all like that! Blech!!!!

We also rented a collection of Pink Panther movies. It's been years since I'd seen them, and I'd forgoten how much I liked the first couple ("The Pink Panther" and "A Shot in the Dark") and hated the rest - they seemed to devolve into stupid gags.

I bought a copy of "The Life Aquatic, With Steve Zissou" - I'd already rented it and loved it, so I had to buy it. I love the deadpan humor - I'm kind of hot and cold with Bill Murray, but I thought he was great in this.

BP

Comments (27)

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Oh Bonnie .. I know what your talking about with Sin City .. yuck .. we didnt even last past the dock scene.

Just watched Mr & Mrs Smith .. it wasnt too bad .. kinda cute. It had its moments :o) I havent had much time to watch any movies lately and really to tell ya the truth .. I havent seen too many that have peeked my intest.

Laura

• msjean
    18 years ago

We rented "My first Mister" on the week-end and we both enjoyed it. It's about a crusty old prim and proper businessman who hires a troubled young girl who is in the GOTH phase to work for him.
    Sad and funny. We found it to be moving :)

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We finally got around to renting "Best In Show"! That was a good one! I swear I know some of those people :-)

"My First Mister" sounds interesting. I'll have to remember to look for it.

I completely forgot about "Mr & Mrs Smith". It's funny I haven't noticed it in the movie stores. With "Sin City" I lasted to the bit where the guy shows up at his parole officer's place... I kept hoping it'd change, but alas!

We've been buying a lot of older movies that we like instead of going to see new ones lately(sometimes it's hard to find them for rent). It costs us $20 to get in the door at the theater, and another $10 if we want bad popcorn and a watery coke - and for the last few years most of the movies have been only so-so. For that $30 we can usually buy two or three movies we like, make good popcorn and a tasty G&T and sit in comfy chairs with the kitties. We don't have a fancy TV and sound system, but it's still sooooo much nicer to watch the movies at home than in a theater!

BP

• sunny_megs
    18 years ago

I rented monster in law and guess who while my dh was away for work. It's the only time i get to watch "chick flicks" without getting grumbling. They were not too bad, some really funny gags. Hitch is another pretty funny one

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Well I tried to stay awake through the Interpreter so it had to be bad if I fell asleep. Im the kind of person who has to stay awake and watch the whole thing or forget it!! I found it to be a long drawn out movie with little to capture your imagination .. I dont even know how it ended :o)

• Farseashore
    18 years ago

Last weekend was so rainy, and my husband had the 'flu, so we rented Ray (very entertaining), Napolean Dynamite (funny & strange) and Hostage (only ok).

Hostage was like a bad version of Die Hard, but it held our interest, at least.

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I thought 'Hostage' was ok too. Not great, but not as bad as some I've seen lately!

I guess I'll find out if I like 'Interpreter' tonight. I rented it because I'm turning into a Sean Penn fan (I never uset to think much of him, but lately he's been really good!).

We rented 'Kingdom Of Heaven' and 'Unleashed' last night. Unleashed was big on the gory martial arts violence, so if that bothers you you'd want to give this one a miss, but it's got a pretty good plot too - very unusual for an over the top action movie. I really liked both it and Kingdom of Heaven.

It's funny, I never saw what the big deal with all the sighing over Orlando Bloom was about in the Lord of the Rings movies, but he was pretty cute in Kingdom of Heaven :-) It also had Liam Neeson and Jeremy Irons in it, and I've yet to see either of those two do something I didn't like.

Hopefully I won't fall asleep watching the Intrepreter tonight :-)

BP

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Bonnie?? Are you awake??? LOL Did you make though the Intrepreter?? What did you think of it?? Was the ending any good??

Laura :o)

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heh - I stayed awake, but you were right, it was on the slow side!

SPOILER ALERT!!! Anyone reading this that doesn't want to know how "The Interpreter" ends, skip this next bit!!!

I'm not sure how far you got, but it's revealed that Nicole Kidman's character's parents and sister were killed by a landmine (she already knew this). The white guy that got shot at the start was her brother, and the black guy was a former lover (this bit she finds out from the photographer, who is a friend). She's bitter and pissed and all that stuff. The "plot" to assassinate the dictator turns out to be a ploy to increase his popularity (an almost assassinated leader is supposedly popular), so Nicole Kidman decides she's going to have to kill the dictator herself.

Sean Penn talks her out of it and she winds up deported. The dictator goes to trial. Kind of a let down ho-hum of an ending!

BP

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Thanks Bonnie .. guess I really didnt miss to much then :o)

Laura

• Mystery_Gardener
    18 years ago

"BIG FISH"!!

Highly recommend this movie by Tim Burton about a son reconciling with his dying father. Funny, poignant and interesting. Fantastic direction by Mr. Burton, extremely good camera work. I am extremely fussy about movies and only one or two (out of dozens we see) a year make my recommended list. A+ for this effort.

The only other movie to make my recommend list this year was Finding Nemo, I rate this one an A for the humour and the fact everybody in the family can watch this movie.

A possible honourable mention for those of us who have passed the 1/2 century mark: About Schmidt is the most intriquing work done by Jack Nicholson since Cuckoos Nest. A-

I could mention some of the bad ones but you could use the same time to watch something good.

Cheers,
    MG

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mention the bad ones!! We need to know what they are - life's too short to waste it watching bad movies :-)

I can't believe I've never seen "Big Fish"! I love Tim Burton, but I keep forgetting about that movie for some reason. Gotta rent that...

I finally saw the third of the new Star Ward movies "Revenge of the Sith". Blech! Sure I thought it was better than the other two, but that's not saying much. I am so glad we didn't waste the $30 it would have cost us to go see it in the theater!

Has anyone seen "Crash"? Lots of good reviews...

BP

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Well we rented Christmas with the Kranks last night .. not bad .. but I really didnt find it very funny. Most of the gags etc gave been done in other movies. I did like the ending and the message it gave. Tonight its the Honeymooners .. I hope I get a good laugh out of that one.

Laura

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Ok I sat though the Honeymooners .. I didnt really care for that one either. I guess I am more of the action / drama type.

laura

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Laura - did you check out IMDB for that one? It only got a 1.9!!! I don't think I've ever seen a movie get that low a rating! I guess I won't bother with that one :-)

We just watched Repo Man - it's one of my favourite 'bad' movies. It still doesn't make any sense, but I like it anyway. It was kind of a cult classic in my crowd, way back in 1984, because it had a lot of punk music on the soundtrack. Brings back some memories :-).

We also just watched "Apt Pupil".Creepy, creepy, creepy! But good! A teenager discovers that a neighbour is a nazi war criminal in hiding - and the teenager is not your average nice kid.

BP

• Mystery_Gardener
    18 years ago

We watched 'Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy' this weekend. If you have not read the book or unable to get a hold of the original 6 part mini series (1/2 hour each, 3 hours total) then you might want to watch this one. I much preferred the book and the original short series. I found this latest rendition to be highly 'Americanized' for its N. American audience, thereby removing some of its original charm and quirkiness.

'Lost in Translation' Both my wife and I agreed this was a total waste of time. Bill Murray sleepwalks his way through this one.

Watched part of Shrek last night with the 'kids' (even if they are adults) after the Grey Cup game (excellent game by the way). I have seen this before and was reminded of much I loved Eddie Murphy as the donkey. Also John Lithgow as Lord Farquaad. Fun stuff.

Hope to catch 'Robots' this week, update you then.

Cheers,
    MG

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I really didn't like 'Hitchhikers Guide' either. I was a hitchhiker geek as a kid, so it was a big let down. They mangled some of the best parts - like the plans were kept. Bah!

Tonight we watched what is going down as yet another favourite movie - in my mind anyhow. DH and I nearly split out sides laughing at "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". I am such a big fan of both Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, so it's no surprise that I liked this movie so much :-)

We also rented "War of the Worlds". It was pretty good actually, and not so far off the original story as some of the other sci-fi movies made recently. Of course it's been bumped into a modern day setting and there's the obligatory kid. Tom Cruise was the usual Tom Cruise character, but that kid, Dakota Fanning, is amazing. I've seen her in other movies too, and she's got more talent in her 11 year old pinky than Tom Cruise could ever hope for!

BP

• Mystery_Gardener
    18 years ago

Happy holiday seasons greetings:

We got around to watching 'Robots' this weekend. Although the storyline was predictable and some of the scenes somewhat childish (to be expected, it was made for kids.;-) we both enjoyed this movie. I will probably watch it again just to see the interesting backgrounds and weird gadgetry. Anybody who liked the 'Mousetrap' game will love the part where the main protaganists use the public transportation system to get to 'Bigwelds' building.

Not on the A list, but a solid B for this movie.

Cheers,
    MG

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We vegged out watching movies this evening. We saw "The Island" and "The Fantastic Four". The Fantastic Four was ok - not good, but not as bad as some I've seen lately! I'm glad I didn't pay the big bucks in the theater, but it was worth the couple of bucks for a rental.

The Island was kind of good. It had totally unrealistic action scenes, and future-tech, but it was pretty good for a sci-fi genre movie. I liked Sean Bean - he was really good as the bad guy!

MG - I finally made a point of seeing "Big Fish" last wewkend. I liked it quite a bit - it wasn't quite as quirky as his other movies, but it was still good and wierd and quite funny!

Tomorrow night we're watching the old "The Fog". I was about 12 or 13 when I saw that movie and it scared the crap out of me (I think I saw it on TV a year after it was released in the theaters)! I haven't seen it since - so tomorrow DH gets his arm torn off by me jerking it when I jump!

BP

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Well, I purchased a ton of movies over the Christmas season so here is my review of a few

Millions - Not bad .. good for the kids to watch.

Crash - Loved it .. someone had told me it was a bit hard to follow .. I didnt find that to be the case at all. The movie jacket makes it sound a bit boring but it really held my interest. The twists and turns were great and it was easy to keep all of the characters straight. Really makes you think about society .. and life as a whole.

Batman Begins - Loved it .. very entertaining

Dukes of Hazard - It was ok ..

there are a few more but they must not have grabed my interest much cuz I cant think of them.

Laura

• Mystery_Gardener
    18 years ago

Hi:

I don't know if this is technically a movie but we borrowed 'Stewie Griffin, The Untold Story' from my nephew. Family Guy is definitely an aquired taste, it can be very hit and miss but I admire people willing to take risks. That being said, I laughed out loud several times and we will watch it again in the near future.

Those who do not watch Family Guy on a regular basis will have a hard time understanding the references as they are based on one being familiar with the series.

Recommeded for those who are fans of the show or those with a broad sense of humour. Avoid if you are person who is insulted easily.

Cheers,
    MG

• sydseeds
    18 years ago

When 'Walk the Line' hits the shelves, rent it!

Never was a Cash fan, but wow - that movie is worth the $12 and I know we'll rent it when it does show up on the shelves.

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Well .. it has been a very busy month or so but I managed to squeeze in a few movies

The Exorcism of Emily Rose .. not bad .. I did enjoy it but it sure wasnt as scary as the previews would you lead you to believe.

Flightplan .. I enjoyed this one .. I think they could have donw so much more with it but it was a good movie and quite entertaining.

Laura

• Mystery_Gardener
    18 years ago

Hi BP:

We finally got around to watching 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. This is the first ever remake of a film that I have really enjoyed (having liked the Gene Wilder version many years previous). Tim Burton is obviously a genius. All other directors should take a course from him on how to create a consistently interesting atmosphere in which to frame their film. Too bad most of them are hacks. Movies generally remind me of fast food, mostly tasteless and devoid of any really value. Thank goodness Tim knows where the spice rack is.

I don't tend to follow actors / actresses at all but Johnny Depp is my wife's favourite and I can see why. His list of characters is very interesting, again I admire people who take risks. I am sure these two will get together for future projects as they seem to be kindred souls. Corspe Bride should be on PPV here soon.;-)

Cheers,
    MG

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I actually just bought a copy of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", I liked it so much! I didn't really like the other version quite as much, but I think it had to do with how I thought of the story in my mind rather than any fault of the film - it just didn't agree with what I thought it should be. I haven't seen it in years though - I should rent it to see if I still feel the same way.

We just saw "Dogville" (with Nicole Kidman). It had a really slow start (we almost turned it off), but then it got really twisted and interesting. At the end we just kind of sat there stunned for a minute going "holy cow that was good!" It was not a happy ever after movie, it was actually kind of shockingly grim and disturbing, but it was really well done! It's also kind of an experiment in movie techniques - it resembles more of a play than a movie. The buildings are only lines on the ground with minimal props to indicate their function and dimension. It's really distracting at first, then you realize that real buildings and scenery would only distract you from the acting and story. If you hate anything resembling an art film then don't watch this - but if you like different things then give it a try (just remember it's slow to start).

We also saw "Transporter 2". It was ok. Not great, but half decent for a hollywood action fluff movie. The first one was better.

We now have a new movie at the top of our 'worst movie ever' list - "Serenity". Only a couple of good actors in the movie, a difficult to follow, badly written script, and completely ridiculous characters. This movie apparently has a huge fan following because it's based on some TV show. Those TV show fans all think it's the greatest movie ever, but I don't like or watch TV, so I really, really, really don't "get it" :-) I'll admit to being a big sci-fi geek, and that there are a lot of bad Sci-fi movies, but this was beyond bad for a genre with a lot of bad movies!

BP

• peatpod
    18 years ago

I watched Munich today .. VERY slow moving and it really didnt grab my full attention. It took me from 9 am untill 2 to watch the whole thing :o)

King Kong is next on my hit list :o)

Laura

• Justine_London
    18 years ago

My daughter and I just watched Hell Boy and it was one of the best "comic book" movies I've seen lately. Surprise, surprise!

The big 'ole red guy gets my heart all a flutter....one of my fav TV shows was a beauty and the beast "type" show, but I can't remember the name. It starred Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman(sp?)....The same guy who's doin Hellboy. (my forgetfulness is in overdrive today)

OOps I just remembered, I've got to go to bed now. LOL

great movies to all, Justine

Sponsored