Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

New glasses = can't stop reading!!

tiffy_z5_6_can
18 years ago

A year ago, I was told I needed new glasses. I was already wearing bifocals at the time, but my sight had changed to the point where I needed to take my glasses off to read. And I'm near sighted...

Couldn't quite get the $$ together and that combined with being the worst procrastinator in the world, well, I finally got my new glasses on Friday.

And I LOVE it!! Took a day to get used to the invisible line thing, but I can SEE!! LOL!! I was working outside yesterday and discovered my compost looks good. LOL! And the letters on the computer are so much clearer...

And I've been reading, and reading, and reading.

Man I hate it when I procrastinate!

Comments (6)

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

New glasses make you wonder how you managed before, don't they!

I've had to go several days with old glasses a couple of years ago, when what I was wearing at the time broke, and boy was it great to get the new ones! They are expensive though, even the 'cheap' ones!!! I've just got a correction for myopia, so my lenses aren't too bad, but DH has a correction for astigmatism as well as myopia and a couple of other things. His lenses cost a fortune =8-0

I've been wondering about bifocals - how much of the lens is for reading and other close tasks, and how much is for 'regular' correction? How much does it cost to get the ones without the lines?

I've been noticing that it's becomming increasingly hard to focus at my usual reading distance, I guess my eyes are getting old :-). My monitor is far enough away that I haven't noticed it being a problem yet, but that time will come soon enough! I think my next pair of glasses will have to be bifocals, but I have no idea how hard it will be to adjust to them! I've worn glasses since I was a kid, so I'm used to them, but this will be a big adjustment!

BP

• mora
    18 years ago

I also have an astigmatism in one eye, and am nearsighted,and am a good ten years past the couldn't read anything close stage! Got the bi-focals but just couldn't adjust to reading at the level needed to focus, way too hard on my neck! I put my 200 dollar glasses aside and decided to tough it out, not by any means suggesting this for anyone else but I now see better and can read almost the smallest print! M

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mora,
    I guess in a sense, what you did is what I was trying to do. My first pair of bifocals caused me grief, and even though I was still wearing them, I never got used to them. Constant headaches all the time. So I started taking the glasses off to read and squinting to see the computer.

These glasses are actually functioning the way they should, and I'm so glad about that! I have to adjust a bit to the movement when looking down, but am getting there as opposed to the last pair. Something tells me that switching eye doctors last year may also have been an excellent move.

BP,
    It appears that the reading part on the lens is slightly less than half, but from what I understand, you can have your eyeglass provider change it slightly. The 'progressive' lenses cost me an extra $50.00, but I went to two optical places, and the final price for my glasses would have been around $600.00. Then I checked out another place in Halifax which DH and I have noticed lawyers use quite a bit, and the price was $279.00!!!

I also have astigmatism in both eyes. My left eye has a tiny , tiny 'hole' in the middle which my optician is watching carefully - pardon the pun! LOL!! I've been wearing glasses since I was 4 years old. Practically the only piece of jewelry I wear!

• mora
    18 years ago

Tiffy!!! I am surprised at you!!! You mean to tell us you don't wear that beautiful leaf shredder!!! (couldn't resist) Tee Hee M

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Only on special occasions and weekends, Mora! :)

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

I think I'll be putting off joining the bi-focal club as long as I can - I just replaced my glassed recently and I'm not about to fork over another few hundred for new ones so soon. Hopefully anyway :-)

Maybe I'll be a crazy lady and wear one cheap pair of magnifying glasses on my head and the regular pair on my nose and just switch when I need to!!

BP