By any other nane.... isn't !M

Comments (10)

• mora
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I meant name M

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

DH and I have turned into wierdos. We stopped buying Christmas trees four years ago!

A 6' tree costs $50+ in downtown Montreal (and that's for a natural one, not a nicely shaped one!). We decided that there were better things to spend that money on at Christmas time. I do miss the smell, but I don't miss the mess and the rearranging of the furniture, the fire hazard, and the chore of keeping the cats out of it.

I won't get rid of our ornaments, because if we ever move somewhere they have reasonably priced ones we'll probably start getting them again.

But for now - we're wierdos :-)

BP

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    18 years ago

Mora,

Are we perhaps refering to the "holiday" tree incident with our beloved gift to Boston?? I have to agree, it is a Christmas tree - always was, and always will be!

BP, I guess we make up for you. We buy one every year, usually a 13 footer. We have vaulted/cathedral ceilings, and it looks so majestic all covered with lights and ornaments in the corner of our living room. It takes about two days to complete the tree set-up and decor.

We will probably downsize when our daughter gets older.

• mora
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tiffy, in one of my "past lives"I developed a a market for antique wholesalers "pickers"at ex park Hfx. To promote the show and support X mas Daddies, I asked all my dealers to bring two or more ornaments (antique) and found a tree dealer(now representing us in Ottawa)who donated a 15 foot tree, it was georgeous!!! and no one wanted it, sold for around 30 bucks ornaments and all, that guy left with a smile, still haunts me M

• msjean
    18 years ago

I wonder when it will be "insensitive" to play Christmas Carols ? LOL
    Somehow.."Oh Holiday tree...Oh Holiday tree" just doesn't have the right ring to it.
    How about "Rocking around the holiday tree" ? That's not too bad.LOL
    A Christmas tree by any other name is still a Christmas tree to me...and always will be.
    I started using an artificial tree a few years back and it looks really pretty when all trimmed. I get some real tree boughs for the mantle and for tall vases so I can enjoy the smell.
    Mora...I wish I had known about your tree full of antique ornaments!!! I would have bid on it for sure !!

• mora
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think JH put it as best he could"When it left here it was a Christmas tree!"Wonder what will happen next year? M

• GardenChicken
    18 years ago

I think JH put it as best he could"When it left here it was a Christmas tree!"Wonder what will happen next year?

Huh??? What'd I miss? what'd I miss???

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

Garden Chicken - NS tradionally gives a huge Christmas tree to Boston as a thanks for the help that Boston sent during the Halifax explosion. For some stupid reason some Boston higher-ups decided that they didn't want to offend anyone by calling this year's tree a "Christmas tree" and instead decided to call it a "Holiday Tree". The crap has hit the fan, both amongst the ultra religious, who are upset over what they see as the cancellation of Christmas, and by everyone else, who enjoys a nice tradition regardless of how devout they are.

Mora - no one wanted a tree full of antique ornaments? Man did they ever not ask in the right corner! Several years ago I forked out $15 for one (!) antique glass cockatoo. It was one of those things where you see it and you've got to have it...

We used to get 8' trees - we have 9' ceilings. They were beautiful! A thirteen foot tree must be amazing! How do you decorate the top? What do you have to pay for a tree like that down there? The local lot just went up this weekend, and just out of curiosity, I asked the guy how much for an 8 footer... $65!! The 6' has gone up to $55! Gak!

You know what I should do - I should find out what day he closes and go in the last afternoon (it's usually the 22nd or 23rd). Maybe he'll give them away for cheap rather than pack them up.

BP

• mora
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bonnie, those prices are outrageous, we never pay more than $25 for a 7 foot tree, I know what you mean about antique ornaments,I love them too... here's a heads up though... make sure the dealer hasn't been stupid enough to put a stick on price tag right on a hand painted item, I have seen so many ruined this way!M

• GeorgeCortazzo
    10 years ago

Just one Weekly Remaining for Christmas ....
    Hurry Up ...
    Buy your favorite tree from farm

Swan Valley Christmas Tree Farm
    143C Wilson Rd (East),Middle Swan, WA, 6056

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!