Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peatpod

Another kitty saved :o)

peatpod
18 years ago

Well, I have yet another kitten. This little guy is about 3 months old and he arrived at the shelter with a prolapsed rectum .. ouch!!! The vet tec at the shelter was attempting to treat this little guy but with so many other animals that need her attention I volunteered for the job. So DB (Dirty Bum) Cooper came home with me. His poor little bum was bleeding and so inflammed and sore. For those of you who dont know what a prolapsed rectum is, its kinda like having a REALLY bad case of hemroides but worse .. sometimes life threatening. A protion of the intestine is actually hanging out of the rectum. Infection and necrosis can be a huge concern so the area must be cleaned regularly, compresses applied, ointment and antibiotics administered. All of this treatment can be for not if the underlying problem is not addressed. This can be caused by many different issues. His was due to having the runs for a long period of time caused by worms. The tec dewormed him and now after only three days his little bum appears to be back to normal. If I hadnt taken him home .. he may have been put to sleep due to this as in many cases surgery is the necessary treatment. Lets face it with so many unwanted pets and limited funds this type of surgery isnt always possible. Lucky for him he appears to be doing just fine. Tonight is the first time he has been out of his cage since he arrived at the shelter over a week ago. He is bombing around here like a bat out of hell :o) Lets hope he gets a really good home. Its too bad he isnt allowed to play with the others but the girls are too little to deworm for the kind of parisites he has and Spud will be going back to the shelter soon :o( Plus he could infect my whole house just by using the same litter box. So for now .. Im his buddy :o)

DB Cooper

{{gwi:519913}}

Comments (10)

• mora
    18 years ago

Well done! What a little cutie! M

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    18 years ago

Love the name!! Cute fella, and great job!

• Summer
    18 years ago

DB is one lucky kitty to have you. He reminds me of my Alice (The Goon).

{{gwi:519915}}

She followed me home one night while I was walking my two Shepherds. Needless to say, she must have sensed the big 'S' on my forehead as she was one very sick kitty.

Summer

• peatpod
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Cooper got to meet the rest of the Zoo Crew today. I dont think I saw him rest his little head at all today .. way too much to see and chase :o) The little girls are having a hard time adjusting to his wicked ways but they seem to like him. So far he is showing a great deal of restraint when dealing with his elders. He is going to be a handful for someone :o)

On a sad note .. Spud left today :o( But I stuck around to meet his new people .. they seem like a really lovely young couple. They saw him online on Petfinders.com and drove from Toronto to meet and adopt him. There was actually a race between two potential people to get to the shelter first to adopt him :o) I hope his first evening with his forever family is a warm and cuddly as his live has been here.

Peanut is doing well and growing like a little weed. Here she is trying to encourage Taz to play with her when I went home to visit in November.

{{gwi:519720}}

Oh how I wish I could keep all of them :o) So now its time to find the little ladies good homes .. I hope someone will adopt them together.

Laura

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

So how is the new guy doing now?

BP

• peatpod
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Bonnie
    DB Cooper is doing great .. we think he is still loaded with worms but we have dewormed him twice now .. he is growing like a weed and should go back to the shelter soon. I worry about him cuz he is black and right now they have about 6 black cats. But he would be the only black kitten.

I had a few issues with the girls. They had a bout of the runs too .. Bill had picked up a pile of vomit that he thought was string .. my guess is that it was worms. So they both were dewormed. Poor little Chatty Catty was so ill I really didnt think she would pull through but she did and she is doing well.

The guys at the shelter are worried that I have a virus in my home that is causing these little ones to get sick. You would think that if I did, my cats would be affected by it also. None of the kittens have difficulties after they leave so Im really not sure. It could be the plants :o( Anything that is toxic is in a seperate room and I havent even sprayed the ones that have pests .. worried the kittens might get sick. I am going to try the garlic trick for the spider mites .. and sticky tape for the white flies. But even the yellow sticky tape gets attached to the little buggers and then I have to pull it off their fur .. ouch!

Peanut goes in for her second set of shots tomorrow .. then she will be ready to be spayed and declawed. My mom is still sitting on the fence about getting her declawed but because my mom's skin is so thin it really should be done.

Here are a few pics of Spud's first Christmas with his new family .. its so nice to see that he is doing well.

{{gwi:519918}}

{{gwi:519920}}

• peatpod
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I took the troops into the shelter yesterday :o( I always go through a bit of withdrawl when they go back .. I am alway fearful they will be there for extended periods of time. As luck would have it they have all be adopted within 24 hours :o) Its nice to think of them climbing up someone elses christmas tree :o)

I a taking a break until the spring .. if I can hold them at bay .. there are two prego cats and a litter of 8 with no mommy but they are eating on their own and really dont need me other than to socialize them.

In April I had 5 kittens .. there have been so many this year I doubt if anyone remembers them. One of them we named Diva. Several months after they had adopted her the people called to say she had been put to sleep due to illness. I was shocked. Anywho .. guess who turned up at the shelter as large as life and prego!!! Yup .. it was Diva. It really made me feel much better.

Well this is kitten central signing out .. for now .. or at least for a few weeks :o)

Laura

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

I hope they all go out to good homes! I know it's impossible to make sure that all pets go to homes where they will be well looked after and well loved, but you have done your best and given them the chance to find a good permanent home. If you hadn't fed them and raised them, then they might not have made it that far!

I'm glad you took them on - those pics of Spud look like he went to a happy home, and you know that the nut is well looked after. You can only raise so many - you only have so much energy, time and money. Once those have run out, you have to quit and restock for the next time you can help!

New Year's eve we raise a glass to all those we think have done more than they had to, to make this world a better place for someone (either two legged or four). So this year: "To Laura - the craziest cat lady of us all" :-)

BP

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    18 years ago

Here! Here! To Laura!!

Well, you might think of our family as one of those which adopts your kittens...

Our little Annie is growing like a weed - long and thin, but full of energy. Raven, the Black Lab, has really become quite the mom and companion. In the evenings when things are quiet and we're just watching TV, they both get on the sofa and Annie will start play-biting Raven's ears. Raven will then gently take Annie in her mouth and take her off, but little Annie goes right back. It is so sweet to watch the two of them!

• peatpod
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all so much. I do find raising these little ones so rewarding. It is so worth the time, energy and love that I put into them. They inturn teach my foster kids that it is ok to love something that will love you back. I know people always say when it comes to step parents or adoptive parents that anyone can father or have a child but it takes someone special to be a parent. This really does show the kids a similar situation .. between different species :o)

Bonnie I am working Bill over .. I think I might adopt the little black CH kitty :o) He is a bit reluctant but Im working on him :o)

It is amazing the relationships animals build with each other. Most of cats clean each other as well as clean the dog :o) Our Husky/Shep X will submit for a cleaning by any all of the cats .. and she wont move until they let her up :o) She will try to move but they just throw their paw over her nose and she stays put :o)

It feels weird not to have any babies .. but I know that I need the break .. plus, I know in a few days we will be back into a routine with our own Zoo Crew. Already I am enjoying not having to pull Cooper out the garbage can :o) Not to mention I am back down to a reasonable number of litter boxes :o)

Laura

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022