Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

Where have all the good movies gone?

bonniepunch
17 years ago

I can't believe we haven't been to see a movie in a theater in almost a year (saw King Kong then the latest X-Men)! We just haven't been really tempted with what's out there lately. For DH and I to go, it costs about $35 (tickets, water and metro fare - more if we want snacks) - not a huge fortune, but for that money we can buy two or three DVDs, some nice beer, and have popcorn that doesn't taste like it'll give you a heart attack. And we can pause to go to the loo, or get more beer, or whatever we want. We don't have a fancy-pants home theater with a ginormous TV, we just have a 25" plain boring TV, comfy chairs, and furry lap-warmers(cats).

We do rent a lot of the new releases, but I just haven't seen anything I really want to pay the bucks for to see on 'the big screen'. Maybe I'm getting old, cranky and cheap :-)

I'll probably go see the new James Bond movie in a theater though - just because it's James Bond...

BP

Comments (7)

• peatpod
    17 years ago

I couldnt agree with you more Bonnie .. I have yet to see anything out there that has even peaked my interest. Even going to get a DVD is somewhat painful as I dont recognise anything :o) I much prefer to sit on my couch and watch a movie .. at least if Im at home and fall asleep my snoring wont bother anyone :o)

Laura

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Yep, the cost is not worth it these days. Have to agree on that one!

Our Daughter did manage to get us to go see Pirates of the Carribean II, and I did like that one. Not as much as the first one though. Our DD loves Johnny Depp and at 12 has all his movies. Oh, to be young again and have such wonderful crushes!!

There's an interesting one coming out with George Clooney over the holidays in black and white. Apparently all the equipment used to shoot this movie was from the 1940s. They had to bring in folks from then to show them how to use the equipment and all. Could be interesting.

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I guess we're getting unreasonable in out old age - not wanting to spend money on crummy films :-)

It's funny - I love Johnny Depp and have most of his movies, but it's his acting I love - I never thought he was cute! George Clooney is a perfect example of the man I'd love to run away with :-) Back in the day, the big love of my 14 year old life was one of those guys in the band Duran Duran. I can't even remember what his name was now - not the singer, the guy with the hair and the hat...

My brother got me the big box set of Monty Python's Flying Circus for my birthday, so I think we'll be satisfying our movie urges with that for awhile.

BP

• sharont
    17 years ago

Bonnie, is his name Nick? ......Of Duran, Duran fame with the blond bangs & grey felt hat which my daughter, in Grade 7, had to have both?
    sam

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok - I had to go look it up :-) It was John Taylor. WOW - That was a real blast from the past! I had completely forgotten what they/he looked like! Admittedly it was over 25 years ago, but still... I was seriously obsessed at the time :-)

And yes I had the bangs! I even had a grey felt hat, but I have no idea what became of it. Just for laughs, here's me at 14, bangs, attitude and all. You can't see my 'tail' - remember those thin little braids hanging everywhere that were the rage? :-)

{{gwi:519940}}

I don't know why I was drinking Pepsi - I hate Pepsi...

BP

• mandyy12
    17 years ago

Nice photo Bonnie. A trip down memory lane for all of us.

Have you seen the trailers for the new Will Smith Movie, with his son playing his on screen son? Looks interesting.

Bill

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I saw a trailer for that movie - it looked interesting, but I don't think I'll see it in theaters. I'll wait to rent it.

Anybody catch Beowulf and Grendel? We just rented that and really enjoyed it. I've always liked the Beowulf story and thought this version pretty well done.

DH and I decided to go buy a bunch of older movies that we've wanted for awhile for Christmas. We got Heat, The Hudsucker Proxy, Dune, Fight Club, and a bunch of others.

Now to fix up some eggnog and enjoy them :-)

BP

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz