Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need sanity check on building hedge maze

Posted by UltimaFan 4b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 0:21

By "sanity check" I'm thinking of ballpark figures for cost and work.
I live near Ottawa, Ontario. That's 45.25N and according to Agriculture Canada that puts me in zone 4b. At this time I'm thinking of a plot that's 270 sq. meters (or 2900 sqft. or 0.0667 acres). Passages, I suppose, should be a meter wide and hedges would be about half that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need sanity check on building hedge maze

You could use arborvitae, which gives you a lot of choices. If you are going to invest the time and money, you may want to add some irrigation, Also a distance of 1.5 meter or more would be better.

o

Hmm... ok, assuming I don't make the walls any thicker, 1.5 meter passageways would increase the dimensions to 22mx22m or 5200 sqft. I was already expecting that 2900 sqft. would fail a sanity check.

Irrigation, eh? Actually, a previous owner installed a sprinkler system and since we are on a well, both next door neighbours dropped hints about how unneighbourly it would be to use it, when I moved in. However, I *would* love to have a fountain at the centre. Why would irrigation be worthwhile? Do arborvitae need a lot of water?

An important question would also be my options for the pedestrian ways. Is leaving it natural an option or is it necessary to lay something down, like gravel?

o

you can use a mix of materials to create your hedges. Check out tapestry hedging. I don't think sprinklers are necessary. When you have these plants, it's important that they are capable of handling drought as well as wet weather. Trees that get too reliant on irrigation would produce roots that grow near the ground surface instead of growing deep which is what you hope they would do. Yes, trees do suck up a lot of water and like all trees, they should be able to thrive without a timed sprinkler offering water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here