Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claubill

Veseys catalogue

claubill
15 years ago

Happy New Year to everyone.

We're thinking of buying the Vesey's Revolutionary Tomato Planter (that's the one where the hanging basket is upside down). And we're also thinking of buying the Bean Tower Cage and the Climbing Cage. Any comments? Is they are a worthwhile investment?

Comments (8)

• ianna
    15 years ago

Well just that the upside down tomato planter is also available from Lee Valley Tools which is located in Toronto. Just an FYI in case you wish to save on shipping costs.

The bean tower looks impressive but I cannot see how it looks beneath. - it might be something worthwhile.

The climbing cage - it looks simple - can you not find these things at dollar stores? or can you not use alternates - even long twigs or branches or your old christmas tree which would have shed it's needles by then, would look great. (you can see I'm a bit of DIY and looking into ways to make things economical)

Ianna

• ianna
    15 years ago

Just an FYI, although this planter is being marketed for tomatoes only, I saw a show where this fellow grew eggplants and sweet peppers, not to mention annual flowers.

• dirtslinger2
    15 years ago

I watched a show where they simply used big buckets. Cut a small hole in the bottom, popped a tomato in there and.... saved X dollars!

• jay3fer
    15 years ago

Honestly, the Vesey's tomato planter looks better than the Lee Valley, which doesn't (I think) have a built-in reservoir, the surrounding steel cage (correct me if I'm wrong) or the built-in capillary mat. Those hangy tomatoes can get thirsty (from what I've heard) and at $20, the price isn't that high for the Vesey's one.

Yes, I have also read that you can use a bucket if you feel like drilling & hanging it yourself. Whatever you use, remember it will get HEAVY. (haven't done it yet, but have done a lot of reading in preparation)

In terms of the cages, etc., it's impossible to see that bean one - very frustrating! So I can't tell if it's any good, but I just want to say, for Ianna, that I have yet to find a truly garden-quality item in a dollar store.

Aside from peony rings that will probably rust apart in a season or two and some cheesy fencing I bought anyway a couple of years ago, I have never found anything worth keeping in my garden at a dollar store.

Though there are some "equivalent" items available there, the $1 version is almost guaranteed to rot, rust, crack or all 3 before the season is out!

• ianna
    15 years ago

claudbill

re the Vesey's tomato planter - I agree it's a supersized version of Lee Valley tools product. You had asked if this was a worthwhile investment. Well it's all to do with your preference of course. One is supersized and elaborate. The other simpler and smaller. The first one will be heavier and Lee Valley version - lighter. Of course the Lee Valley version contains no water reservoir. With the first product you'd have to spend less time tending the planter, with the other, more time watering it. So it all depends on preferences of course.

Dirtslinger My thoughts. Great idea - in fact, I was thinking about this. Probably best to keep the bucket to a reasonable size. Use a pop bottle water reservoir. Use an absorbent rag such as those you see in many National HOme show demo. Use only soilless mix to keep the weight under control. In anycase, always prepare for the fact that this container will be heavy. It should work - hope you go for it.

Claudbill
    As for the bean tower, I have a copy of the catalog and it looks fantastic. Pretty tall and for $29.+ a good buy. I imagine it will be costly to reproduce the screens using hardware bought materials.

Jay3fer Re the dollar store suggestion. You are of course entitled to whatever ways you'd like to spend your money. If you don't like dollar store materials, then by all means the $12 tomato cage from Vesseys looks far more interesting. If you are satisfied with the product, then it's money well spent. In my case, I lean towards keeping things cheap hence the suggestion in the first place. I prefer purchasing bamboo stakes, twine or wire and create that cage. To me spending somethng like $3-5 in dollar s is well worth it.

• goldi_locks
    15 years ago

I wondered about these too. Dirtslinger, I think I saw that same show. :) I may try it this year.

By the way, is there a code on that Veseys catalogue? I got my catalogue and now it's nowhere to be found. I think we may have an avid recycler in the house. ;)

• consentida
    15 years ago

Would anybody know if Veseys carry Plumbago auriculata/capensis and if they would deliver to Montreal?
    or do you know any other nursery who did? Thank you!

• Betty Levar
    15 years ago

I tried the upside down tomato planter and it was a pain. The plant still wants to grow upward. It gets really heavy and dries out quickly. You have to hang it up high because it gets long and then you need a step ladder to water it. Its hanging in the garage and I won't be using it again.

Sponsored
VerdeScapes LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Landscape Architects & Landscape in Virginia