Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heucheras in zones 1 and 2

Posted by milo_z7 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 19, 07 at 8:04

A friend of mine is working on a display garden for a fair, and she asked me if I knew of any Heuchera cultivars hardy in zones 1 and 2 (or 3a), especially in areas with little snow cover. I don't, so maybe you can help her?

Thanks! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heucheras in zones 1 and 2

I doubt it. One way of knowing if a plant can survive such colder zones is to inspect the leaves. Plants that produce leaves with waxy layers, or some sort of cold protection film on them, and usually (the leaves are rather small) can survive such zones. So think boxwood & evergreens. Perhaps the heuchera can be treated more as an annual in that zone - It would do well in teh summer but by fall and winter, expect it won't survive
Ianna

o
RE: Heucheras in zones 1 and 2

In my experience heuchera is a perennial that is sort of "iffy" in zone 3, at least in my experience. I have a purple leaf one which survived two seasons and then died out, even with fairly good snowcover.

Last year I started some from seed (a type called Dale's Strain) and the seedlings did survive one winter thus far. We'll see about this winter.

Some sources say zone 3 for some heuchera's. I am sure if one used mulch over them for the winter that might increase their survival rate as well.

Glen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here