Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

Morden Mums - zone 4-5

User
12 years ago

Has anyone successfully overwintered Morden mums in zones 4-5? I live north of Kingston Ontario and I'm also seeking a supplier of them.

Comments (7)

• toysmall
    12 years ago

Also like no.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toysmall - you're from China and recently registered. I'm looking for Canadian information.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

I would imagine the Morden mums would overwinter in zone 4 or 5. They are offered by Boughen Nurseries in Manitoba which is in a lower zone. They probably wouldn't survive for me, but so far I haven't found one to try.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi North53,

I've sourced them in Manitoba but to have them shipped to Ontario doesn't make them affordable. I'd love to find an Ontario source for them.

I remember living in Shilo Man. when I was 2 1/2 to 5 1/2. Yup - wind chill in the 60's of up to -70 (and no I'm not joking at all). Used to wear a snowmobile suit in the winter on top of layers of clothing with woolen sweater. My Mom would wrap the world's longest scarf around my head until only slits where on my face so I would not get frostbit. Nothing like a clear, cold night sky on the prairie to see the northern lights and a billion stars. Then the summers nothing like fields of crocuses as far as the eye could see and later tumble weeds rolling by. My sister put a letter on one, let it blow away in the field. She got a postcard from somewhere just outside of Winnipeg.

As much as I hate the cold spells on the prairies, there is a fond place in my heart because the prairie solitude if you live out of town is something else. And gophers and jack rabbits everywhere. Oh yeah, spear grass - hate that stuff. Especially since I pulled on that when I was young playing house. It took a darning needle and ice cubes later to remove it from under the skin on my hands. Ouch.

But I still find the prairies an experience of a life time.

Wow. I blab a lot.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Hi, Mcpeg,
    I'm not technically on the prairies since I'm in the middle of Manitoba, more boreal forest than anything, though there is farmland on the edge of town. In a normal winter (not sure I know what that is anymore) it can be bitterly cold, but the winds are worse in southern MB as you know. This past Dec was abnormally mild and it has continued so far. Though it is a treat for us, it's not good for those that rely on a proper freeze up for winter roads etc.
    I understand about shipping costs. That's why I haven't tried many perennials that I'd like to. Mostly I order from Lindenberg's. They have free shipping if your order is over a certain amount which is easy to do. They usually have something interesting for me to try. I like to have something different to look forward to each spring. Last year I planted a new brunnera and a different veronica from them. I'm anxious to see how they do. But if this winter stays this mild, it won't be a true test for the perennials. We are lucky to have lots of snow also, unlike so many areas.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    12 years ago

T&T Seed Company ships very hardy mums ie hardy to zone 3 supposedly. I know these aren't Morden but they might still be of interest to you i.e powersurge and showbiz.

Here is a link that might be useful: T&T Seeds

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Rouge21. I'm going to email them with some questions.

North53 I've ordered from Lindenberg before, with success. I never thought about the ice roads not being available due to the weather. That sure throws a wrench for some I bet.

Sponsored