Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

Perennial geranium

marricgardens
15 years ago

I am looking for a few nice ones to plant. I have geranium sanguinium and know it's hardy. We have harsh winters so I need them to be hardy to at least zone 4. I usually lose plants each winter. I was looking at Purple Pillow and cinerareum Splendens. Does anyone have these? Another one I like is Karmina but everything I found on it says it is hardy to zone 6 yet Egos has it listed as zone 4. Anyone have this one? What is your experience with them hardiness wise? Thanks. Marg

Comments (14)

• ontnative
    15 years ago

I live in Guelph and grow many hardy geraniums, including several sanguinums,as well as Karmina, and it relatives Cambridge, St. Ola, and Biokova, all ground-cover types. These are all quite drought-tolerant. My other favourites include Brookside, Jolly Bee, Nimbus, Patricia, Spinners, Tiny Monster, Mayflower and Amy Doncaster. The native geranium maculatum is pretty as are its cultivars 'Espresso' and 'Elizabeth Ann' with dark purple-green leaves. I have a form of splendens in my shaded rock garden, where it blooms faithfully every year. Ones that haven't grown well for me include Kashmir Purple, Kashmir White, Russel Prichard, Mavis Simpson, Ann Folkard and Bertie Crug. Bertie did not survive its first winter. Hardy geraniums are so attractive and generally low care, that I am not afraid to try any one, at least once. Hardiness zones are just a guideline after all.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll be on the lookout for some of those. Your post reminded me that I bought 2 new ones last year at a show. One was 'Okey Dokey' which has dark purple foliage and mauve flowers, and the other was 'Springtime' which has variegated foliage and dark red flowers. I did mark where they were in the garden and I just hope that they are hardy. Thanks again. Marg

• ontnative
    15 years ago

I have both G.pratense 'Okey Dokey" and G.phaeum 'Springtime'. They are both hardy here in part shade. 'Springtime' is a phaeum so may be a self-seeder. Mine is two years old and so far no "babies", but I think it's too early to say that it won't ever seed around. 'Okey-Dokey' is a bit more temperamental, needing part shade and medium moisture.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have both planted in full sun. When we bought the farm, there were no trees so we plants lots of trees and shrubs. Unfortunately, they are not yet big enough to give a lot of shade. 'Okey Dokey' seems to love the sun but as soon as I find a shady enough spot, I'm going to move 'Springtime' there, maybe it'll do better. Marg

• maggiepie_gw
    15 years ago

ontnative, did you buy any of your plants mailorder?
    Have you grown any hardy geraniums from seed, and if so, have you ever successfully germinated G.Aristatum?

I am also looking for G.Sinense, if you know of a place within Canada where it can be purchased I'd like to know.
    You can mail me if you have any answers.
    Tia
    Helen

• ontnative
    15 years ago

Geranium 'Springtime' has very pale leaves with a lot of cream and light green in them. That's why it needs more shade (and moisture) than a plant with solid green leaves.
    Maggiepie, I used to buy a lot of plants by mail from nusersies like Mason-Hogue (Uxbridge), Whitehouse (Ottawa) and Rainforest/Perennial Gardens (British Columbia). None of these places ship regular perennials any more. Some will still ship hostas and daylilies. No, I haven't grown any hardy geraniums from seed, only pelargoniums. However, many hardy geraniums seed like mad, so usually I am yanking them up in the spring so I won't be overrun by the most vigourous varieties. If you want info. about growing geraniums from seed, you could try Marjorie Mason-Hogue. She used to specialize in both pelargoniums and hardy geraniums and is very knowledgeable and practical.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marjorie's website

• ontnative
    15 years ago

I forgot to suggest that you could try looking at the Geranium Forum. Much of the info. is about pelargoniums (annual types) but there are some questions about hardy geraniums, growing geraniums from seed, etc.

• maggiepie_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link ontnative, I will keep checking back to see what they will have available.
    I will go check out the Geranium forum, haven't been there for ages.

• herbthyme
    15 years ago

ontnative - I would like to rescue some of your geranium plantlets from the compost heap when you are tidying your garden beds this spring. Would you be willing to pot up a few, and maybe I could pick them up and find you something to exchange? I have been avidly winter sowing, and have my fingers crossed.

• ontnative
    15 years ago

Herbthyme, check your e-mail. Some perennial geraniums are sterile hybrids, so don't self-seed. Thank goodness!! Some of these can be propagated by division, layering or cuttings. So far I haven't bothered to go the cutting or layering method. There are so many excellent nurseries and plant sales in this part of Ontario, it is easier for me to buy a new or special cultivar. I do like to prowl around the discount/sale sections, end of season specials, etc. Half price is good, but 70% off is even better! Some new ones I might consider buying this year include Red Admiral, Pink Penny, Rothbury Gem or Cheryl's Shadow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geranium Rothbury Gem

• maggiepie_gw
    15 years ago

Ontnative, your list of considers for this season led me to google where I fell into this site.
    Pages of pics of geraniums, I want them all!!!

http://www.infojardin.com/foro/showthread.php?p=2029421

• maggiepie_gw
    15 years ago

Oops, sorry, I didn't do the link right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geraniums

• ontnative
    15 years ago

Hardy geraniums can be addictive in the same way as daylilies or hostas. However they don't need full sun and they don't get eaten by slugs. Generally they are a very "forgiving" type of plant to grow, and they blend in with many other natives and assorted border perennials.

• jroot
    15 years ago

I just picked up the mail and today there was a flyer from Brecks offering perennial, easy care, everblooming, hardy geraniums @ $39.99 for a collection of 10 plants. They also offer a double everblooming hardy geranium collection for 20 plants @ $74.99. All with a 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.

I am not endorsing this, but merely passing it on. They can be seen at:

www.BrecksBulbs.ca/HardyGeranium

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!