Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookie8_gw

Passion Flower

cookie8
16 years ago

Did anyone ever grow this? I can't find any pics of the plant itself just closeups of the flower. Would love some input on it. thanks.

Comments (10)

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

I was going to order some seeds from seedsandmore.com. Haven't been able to find much info either except for lots of pics. There are a lot of pics at DavesGarden.com, just do a search for 'passion vine'. None show a pic of the vine in bloom but there are some nice shots of the vine and the flowers separately. I'm going to ask about germinating these on the propagation from seed forum here. I find that forum very useful. marg

• ianna
    16 years ago

RE online image search. The best method I find is simply to do an image search on google. That brings ups all the passion vines it can find on line. I've already found several images of the entire plant - this could also lead to information sites on how to grow them

• cookie8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't classify vine -helps alot. thanks

• fragrant
    16 years ago

Hi:

I was hoping to start some of these seeds too, as I saw them in the garden centre last summer(around $30.) I want a vine to grow on a trellis I have but don't want to spend a lot of money.

There is a passion flower forum here on GardenWeb - just go to the Vines forum and then there is the Passiflora and Clematis links to choose from at the top of the page.

This is the link - http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/passiflora/

I went searching for some germination info on the seeds - this is one site I found by typing in "passion flower germination" into google

link is -http://www.passiflora-uk.co.uk/passion-flower-growing.htm

From what I have read germination can be quite slow, but seems some have found success with fresh seed. I found some passion flower seed (passiflora caerulea) from McKenzie seed at the Home Depot store for $1.79 per package with 25 seeds inside. I also found that the Dominion Seed house has seed for sale as well.

I went to our local Zehrs to see if there were any passion fruit available and found they had some for $1.79 each. I bought one and planted the seeds in a tray with some soil with bottom heat. The dried seeds in the package I put in a damp paper towel inside a baggie to retain moisture. Just a n experiment to see if I can get some to germinate.

I hope this is helpful,

Kind regards

• msbeekeeper
    16 years ago

I grew one one year up against the chain link of the dog run and it did well. I gave it away in the fall as I did not have the room to winter it. They are really not that expensive to buy at a garden center.

• artsygirl89
    16 years ago

I found some information on the passion flower at the following link

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Helper -Passion Flower

• ssflowergirl
    16 years ago

Our local grocery store garden centre stocked great looking plants that retailed for either $11.99 or $15.99. Most were in gallon pots. I didn't buy one myself but heard many positive comments from other gardeners.

• meadowmuffins
    16 years ago

I picked up a couple in 4" pots for $5.25 (they have some other varieties for around the $4 mark). They are very prolific vines, my MIL grows them up her gazibo/tent thing on her back deck.
    Cut them back and bring inside over the winter, they don't require much maintenance over the winter.

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

I saw Passiflora caerula (spelling) seeds on the seed rack at the nursery and couldn't resist buying it. I followed directions and after a month, nothing had come up. I emailed McKenzie seeds to see if they could give me any advice. They were replied the next day and here's the advice they gave.
    Sand both sides of the seed and then soak 24 hr. in tepid water. Plant seeds 2-5 mm deep and maintain a temperature of 20C/68F. for 16 hours. Then raise the temperature to 30C/86F. for 8 hours. If you cannot do this, maintain an even temperature of 26C/79F. I just finished soaking mine so I potted them up. Hopefully something will come up. With my luck it will probably be a weed! Marg

• garnet69
    16 years ago

I grow this plant in my garden every year. I have a hardy passion flower (incarnata) which I ordered from a catalogue (McFayden or Spring Garden). It's slow to emerge but once it does it's a rampant grower. Not a prolific bloomer but mine is only in partial sun (about 5-6 hours)and I've never had fruit - flowers are beautiful though. Sends out runners sometimes feet from the main plant. Dies to the ground in winter. Not overly impressed but I'm keeping it for nostalgic reasons (grows in my parents native homeland). Sorry, no pics to pass along.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living