Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunny_megs

spring garden catalogue

sunny_megs
17 years ago

I just received a catalogue from Spring Garden in Oakville. Has anyone ever ordered from them? How were the plants, and did you find the prices reasonable? I have never ordered from them before.

Comments (6)

• kstrawson
    17 years ago

have ordered plants from them. some have done quite well, but did also recieve dead ones and there return policy sucks. Will stick to local nursery's from now on.

• gail_ish
    17 years ago

I got my catalogue too, & was thinking of putting in an order to try. Apparently, they came under new management & the new owners want to assure everyone that they are committed to better quality & service. (I think I saw their letter on the GardenWatchdog site) I've heard both pros & cons, so I'm thinking I want to try for myself, and if things work out, then I know I could reliably use them in the future, and if not, lesson learned.

Gail

• jimmyjojo
    17 years ago

I've been disappointed everytime I've mail ordered from anywhere seeds or plants. It's just this time of year that gets us down, and they prey on us with pretty coloured pictures. In May we wouldn't dream of mail ordering anything with all the nurseries open and full of stock.

I just had a quick look at their prices. They want $12 for 3 Asclepias tuberosa + S&H+taxes. By the time it gets to your door it will be over $20. Unless it's something you can't find the seed for here or find the plant at your local nuseries in Spring, why bother?

• mumbee
    17 years ago

Hi, I have ordered from Spring Garden in the past, long before they even had a phone number! I didn't even know they had gone bankrupt, I just stopped receiving catalogues and couldn't find them anywhere for years. I stumbled across their website today by accident. I have never had a problem dealing with them, but perhaps that was because I was ordering before they ran into "trouble". The one time I received a collection that was missing one plant, I wrote to them explaining and within a short period of time, the replacement arrived at my door, with the added surprise of the entire collection over again! I was thrilled as I just doubled my plants for the already low (in my opinion) price. Yes, plants are in a completely different state than what you would pick up at a garden center, but how else could they be shipped in the mail? Most were just breaking dormancy, and were up and growing within weeks. All of them survived the three Alberta winters they were in my garden before we moved (and I've driven past since to have a peek and I believe they are still there) and I even took chunks of several of them with me for the next garden which also did well. Even though they arrive so small, in my experience they caught up with locally purchased items within a year. I have been nothing but pleased, and would certainly give them another chance now that I've "found" them again!

• glen3a
    17 years ago

I ordered from them once. Every year they seem to have a "buy one plant, get another for a penny" section of their catalogue and one year they had yucca filamentosa. The roots were actually a decent size and healthy, though you probably can't kill a yucca root. My only beef was that they stated (at least for that year) "don't pay until you receive your order" and they were billing me for the item before I got the order.

Probably wouldn't order from them again, just nothing I want. Plus, not sure how big plants they actually ship, since I've only purchased roots from them.

Glen

• ontario70
    17 years ago

I was under the belief that Spring Garden was a division of Breck's Bulbs, which also ran into financial trouble a few years back.

I always found both to be expensive, and limited in their selection. I've always turned to Hortico if I see a variety that grabs my attention. 9 out of 10 times, Hortico has the variety, at a really decent price.

Now that I'm much more capable with seed starting, I'll often check out if the variety is within my skills to raise on my own - the advantage being you can raise quite a few more plants for the price of one, and trade your extras!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz