Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think its a fungus

Posted by djunor (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 12:59

Is anyone famalier with thats growing on my plant. The plant is a gardenia. Whatever it is has started to grow on the underside of my hibiscus` leaves too.

I kept them both outside for the summer, if that helps in anyway diagnosing the problem.

I'de hate for this to be something common, and I'm just over reacting. I'm fairly new to gardening.

Thanks in advance.
Damien

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of the gardenia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think its a fungus

Mealy bugs, give your plant a good bath and then spray with a soap insecticide as well. Keep on top of them, they are really hard to get rid of.

Sharon

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 16:37

I agree with crazy_gardener. It is definitely mealy bugs.

Give them a good bath means immerse them into a tub of water for about 10 minutes, or at least give them a good shower, and then let it drain. Squish as many as you can with your fingers. They won't hurt you at all. Then, give them a good spray, and then again the next week, and again the next week. When they get lower in number, you can dab them with rubbing alcohol straight from the bottle. You may find the mature bugs jump from plant to plant. Keep on top of it.

I had a bad batch a couple of years ago on my oleander, but they survived, and now they are fine.

o

Thanks alot, I'll get right on that

Damien

o

Oh - wow! That's about the worst case of mealies I've ever seen! They must love gardenias! :-)

It can be hard to rinse the cottony stuff off sometimes, so if you have an old toothbrush lying around, you could dip that in soapy water and use that to gently scrub them off.

I finally managed to get rid of mealies that had been plaguing a big Clivia for years - I sprayed it with rubbing alcohol every two days for two weeks (rinsed it off with water afterwards), and then sprayed it every five days for a month. So far it's been four months and I haven't seen one. This was on a plant that had I had been battling infestations on for two years. Neither regular insecticidal soap or neem oil had been effective - rubbing alcohol usually works, but you have to spray very frequently to eradicate them. I had been lazy before :-)

BP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here